Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Syncthing permission error

Open source file synchronization tool.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
RobertoBenzi
Starter
Starter

Syncthing permission error

Post by RobertoBenzi »

Hello there,
I'm having some issue setting up the build-in syncthing in the latest version of Xigmanas (12.1, Syncthing version 1.4), in particulary it's giving me a permission denied error.

I have a Users folder containing the UserA UserB and UserC folder, all within the same group, I'd like Syncthing to sync the folder on my XigmaNAS ZFS dataset with the users desktop. I've read the previous topic about permission issues and halfway through it was suggested by bewoco what the issue should be related with the creation of the .stfolder during the first sync, so I tried letting syncthing create the folder and then giving the right owner (UserA, B and C) after Synchting finished the first sync, the ownership.
The problem is that now synchthing is giving me the permission error for every single file.
I understand that syncthing need the rights to write to the desired folders, so I thought of adding it to the wheel group, would it create a security concern?
In the aforementioned topic bewoco hinted about adding the syncthing user to the wheel group with a postinit command, would it be an issue doing it with the Command Line tool, like

pw group mod {groupNameHere} -m {userNameHere}

What kind of problem would it create? Could this be a solution or there's another solution?
My main problem is that I want the Users to be able to access also the Network stored folder, so I'd like to keep every user able to access only his own folder, setting permission to 777 would let everyone access the users folders, even other users, is there another workaround aside adding syncthing to wheel? Would adding syncthing to wheel at least work?

Thank you in advance,
Roberto
NAS4Free 10.2.0.2 x86 Embedded (revision 1814) MoBo: ASUS P5SMX-SE CPU: Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz RAM: 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 Network Adapter: SiS 968 Integrated Gigabit + Kraun KR.X5 PCI NIC Storage: Building up, ATM 1,66 TB (2x500 GB SATA HDD RAID1, 500+250 GB SATA HDD JBOD + 250+160 GB PATA HDD Spare)
Installation Media: 1GB USB Flash w/o Swap
Running Services: CIFS/SMB (Kind of)

RichieStine
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Syncthing permission error

Post by RichieStine »

Hello...i would like to add that never change the ownership or permission levels of jail datasets. These contain operating system and application files that will not work properly if changed. Only ever change ownership or permission levels of datasets that contain only your data and that are mounted into your jail.

rigid flex pcb design for assembly guidelines

Return to “Syncthing”