*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

DL160 G6 No longer boots with latest

Everything Hardware related to build that XigmaNAS system!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Manxmann
Starter
Starter

DL160 G6 No longer boots with latest

Post by Manxmann » 07 Oct 2017 20:13

Hi Folks,

I know its been asked before but does anyone have a cache of previous release ISO's?

My healthy happy box was running 11.0.x (something) and I decided to update it to the latest stable 11.1.0.4.x release. For whatever reason the update didn't go well, the new instance complaining of not being able to find the root partition of the booted USB media after loading the RAM disk.

I downloaded the latest ISO, burnt that to a CD and tried booting from a portable DVD device plugged into the USB port to re-install from scratch and restore the config but the boot hangs just after the BTX loader appears and goes no further.

I've tried downloading multiple times and burning new CD's and using the iLO virtual media, same result. If I take the exact same device and DVD/CD and attach it to my 'new' Lenovo laptop with secure boot turned off the disc boots fine.

I've tried using this 'working' system to build a new USB stick and then transferred this to the server, but again the server just hangs trying to boot. Hence my need to revert to an 11.0.x stream, and please no-one say 'latest security' etc etc yes it's 100% secure atm as it wont boot :)

If anyone has an old ISO or alternatively suggestions on getting the old girl booting again it would be very much appreciated.

Server DL160 G6 72Gb RAM / LSI SAS card in IT mode etc etc

Simon

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DL160 G6 No longer boots with latest

Post by raulfg3 » 07 Oct 2017 22:54

use MBR install instead of GPT (default). Must Work.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

Manxmann
Starter
Starter

Post by Manxmann » 08 Oct 2017 20:04

K will give that a shot, cheers :)

Does that explain why it won't boot from the install CD?

Manxmann
Starter
Starter

Post by Manxmann » 08 Oct 2017 21:11

Re-installing the USB and selecting MBR over GPT, I have it in my mind I did this before, didn't solve the problem.

I therefore decided to go back to grass roots and pulled the battery from the server to reset BIOS, reset everything as before and BINGO! She booted,

:)

Return to “Server Build, Tips, Help and Suggestions”