*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Non ECC NAS replacement by 1 Non ECC NAS and 1 ECC machine for offsite backup???

Everything Hardware related to build that XigmaNAS system!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
fritz
experienced User
experienced User

Non ECC NAS replacement by 1 Non ECC NAS and 1 ECC machine for offsite backup???

Post by fritz » 31 Dec 2017 14:53

Hi all,

I have currently a NAS running NAS4Free WITHOUT ECC RAM.
My NAS contains 2 ZFS pools "tank" and "tank_backup" (an incremental backup using zfs_send/receive is done every week using the scripts described here: viewtopic.php?t=2197)

After reading different post, I got quite scared to loose my data due to non ECC RAM. Furthermore, having no off-site backup is also not ideal (e.g. in case of disaster like flooding, fire...)

I would like to improve that now, and therefore I have the folowing idea in mind:
- keep my current NAS without ECC for the main pool "tank"
- move the pool "tank_backup" to another machine that will be located offsite (in my parents house). For the latter machine I plan to use an old desktop PC supporting EEC RAM that I have lying around (currenty unused).

The health of both NAS (zpool health, temperature, SMART...) will be monitored using the scripts described here: viewtopic.php?t=2197

What do you think about this strategy?

Thank you for your expertise :-)

Kind Regards
O/S: NAS4Free 11.1.0.4 - Atomics (revision 5017) (Embedded 64bit), installed on 8GB USB flash drive
https://github.com/fritz-hh

Return to “Server Build, Tips, Help and Suggestions”