*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

some questions for chassis options

Everything Hardware related to build that XigmaNAS system!
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
foxofinfinety
NewUser
NewUser

some questions for chassis options

Post by foxofinfinety » 28 Sep 2014 14:16

I currently use a NAS build mostly based on these recommendations, however, it is installed in a case that I already had, this reason for this is that when I build it it was either a less-then-great option for a case, or having to seriously limit the budget for motherboard/processor/RAM, since the case does work OK I decided it be better to just replace the case later on.

it's 'later on', so time to actually replace the case, the issues with it aren't really a lot, but still a fair problem.
firstly, it's a 4U rack-mount server chassis, which mostly makes sense since it is in a rack, but I need room for an extra machine, so I'd prefer to slim it down to 2 units.
secondly, while the case is large, it doesn't fit a lot, most of it is just open space (and fan's, it does fit a lot of those), that is, I have 5 drives and that is also as much as it can hold.

so in short the new case needs to provide more storage, while wasting less space.
the Supermicro SC826BE16-R920LPB seems a fair options, although an expensive one, but I have a things with it I'd like to make sure will work out well, especially since the chassis comes in at over 900 euro.
in essence this case does what I want, it's 2U and holds 12 drives, which gives me the room I'd need for the other system I want to add and I can double the drives (and then still add 2 more).

however, a other system I build uses a 'brother' of this chassis, the Supermicro SC825 TQ-560LPB, and I fear a problem I haave with that, will also occur with the SC826E16-R920LPB.
the problem is that I can't connect the RAID controller, the SC825 is used for a windows based server so it needs hardware raid, and for that I have an IBM M5016, and the NAS might get M5015's.

yet I can't find a cable that I can get from the controller to the drives, I can't use straight SAS connectors as then I'd have to go through the chassis cover, but all angled cables I find go to the right form the controller (seen from the front of the chassis), and then they'd have to go through the air duct.
while the M5016 and M5015 are different in features they are identical in shape and size, if the cable doesn't fit for one of them, it won't fit for the other either, and the differences between the cases are also minimal, so my problem now is, will it fit as far as cabling goes?
and if so, does anyone know how to do the cabling from the controller to the drives in that chassis?

separate from that, a other issue is processor cooling, I use a Supermicro X9SCM-F with an Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, right now I use the stock cooler, but the SC826BE16-R920LPB uses forced-air cooling, so I need a passive heatsink for the CPU.
but I haven't been able to find a lot, does anyone know a good passive heatsink to use in combination with that case?

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: some questions for chassis options

Post by b0ssman » 29 Sep 2014 08:16

Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

Lee Sharp
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: some questions for chassis options

Post by Lee Sharp » 25 Dec 2014 02:46

I am a big fan of Norco cases. I use the 8 drive 2U case a LOT and love it.
http://www.directron.com/rpc2208.html

You will need a side blow fan like this, however.
http://www.directron.com/k666.html

Also two of these cables.
http://www.directron.com/csff80874s.html

Return to “Server Build, Tips, Help and Suggestions”