Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

install XigmaNAS on MacBook (Late 2008)

New installs of XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
cracksilver
NewUser
NewUser

install XigmaNAS on MacBook (Late 2008)

Post by cracksilver » 23 Oct 2018 09:22

Hi Community

I am new to the forum and have now made my first steps in the VM with XigmaNAS. After countless tests with over 15 different NAS software solutions, I definitely decided for XigmaNAS. It seems to be the most intuitive and expandable. With many others solutiones some details are not clearly defined and fail at some point or it is only due to usability. XigmaNAS seems to me to be perfect for me to make a simple home server service.

Now I have the question where to install it. With the old HP laptop yesterday the kernel panic broke out. So a bad base for a reliable server. Today I got an old MacBook Late 2008 (which I will pick up today). It is the model A1278 and has an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Ghz and 2 GB RAM installed. Is it possible to install XigmaNAS on it or are the problems already pre-programmed in this undertaking? My idea is to attach 2 additional HD's via USB and create a RAID on it. I take the 2 disks from my old Synology DS206 which I will definitely shut down after more than 10 years of continuous operation. The disks are not yet 10 years old, so they can be used for now ,-)

What do you think?

Is it better to make a full install on HD or running from SD-Card?

cracksilver

cracksilver
NewUser
NewUser

Re: install XigmaNAS on MacBook (Late 2008)

Post by cracksilver » 23 Oct 2018 21:06

Hi again

I can now answer the questions myself. Picked up the MacBook today, it's in an excellent condition.

First I did the ROM update from Apple. Then 130GB SSD disk installed and Xigmanas in the full version over a USB stick (EFI) installed. Works very well. Probably some GB RAM will come in.

I still have a few questions regarding the shares of the users. But open a new thread for that.

cracksilver

Rona
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Rona » 09 Jan 2019 12:18

cracksilver wrote:
23 Oct 2018 21:06
Hi again

I can now answer the questions myself. Picked up the MacBook today, it's in an excellent condition.

First I did the ROM update from Apple. Then 130GB SSD disk installed and Xigmanas in the full version over a USB stick (EFI) installed. Works very well. Probably some GB RAM will come in.

I still have a few questions regarding the shares of the users. But open a new thread for that.

cracksilver
Thank you for this answer! I had the same issue!

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 09 Jan 2019 13:34

In general, is not good idea to use a laptop (mac or intel) to serve as a NAS because USB Disk are not the best way to store data on a NAS.

Please use it only for test, but if you appreciate your data do not use USB RAID use SATA RAID instead (ZFS over SATA Disk not over USB Disk).
12.0.0.4 - BETA (revision 6625)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes
Old Wiki

cracksilver
NewUser
NewUser

Post by cracksilver » 09 Jan 2019 20:10

Hi all

In the meantime I run unRAID since about 2 month and I'm really happy with it. Bought another server, HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 with xenon CPU and 16GB RAM.

What I've learnd about, Server and USB HD's is not a good idea. There are so many issues after restart cause the order of it (dev/sda, dev/sdb ...) may be change and then you get a disaster with your data! The other thing, if you have it in a USB array case, it could be that the system is setting all serial numbers to the same, means not to the original s/n of the hd's. It gives another disaster in the system...

Cracksilver

was-armandh
experienced User
experienced User

Post by was-armandh » 11 Jan 2019 15:12

for XigmaNAS, there are ideal, satisfactory, and bad choices

generally an Intel based 64 bit, with 2 or more cores, 4 or more Gb of RAM will be satisfactory.
new or used it should be 100% functional. good mem check, no history of unexplained BSOD !!
typical refurbished stuff that is all over the net, or gamer need for speed cast off.
Also, 98% of the time AMD works just as well.
and when the on board LAN nic is not recognized plug in a commonly used one.
it is often unwise to try very new or bleeding edge boards [stability and driver issues]

proclaimed as ideal ECC memory. and IMHO a must have is a UPS.

best is a case/mobo large enough for 2 or more drives for mirror or raid redundancy.
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Return to “Install XigmaNAS”