*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7509 - released

*New 11.3 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7509 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

USB3.0/UASP/SSD for Bootup?

New installs of XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
RayCJ
Starter
Starter

USB3.0/UASP/SSD for Bootup?

Post by RayCJ »

Hi All...

Instead of a Flash USB boot device, I'd like to use an SSD. Does anyone know if the latest version (12.1.NNN) will utilize UASP/USB 3.0 for booting? If so, does anyone know if the TRIM command is working properly within UASP? I checked on the FreeBSD forum and could not find a clear answer.

Also, I see the installation .iso files are available for LiveCD, USB-MBR and USB-GPT. What are the MBR and GPT images for and which one should I use for installation to an SSD connected via USB?

Much Thanks
Ray

was-armandh
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: USB3.0/UASP/SSD for Bootup?

Post by was-armandh »

which to use depends what your computer will boot GPT is the newer/better but older hardware might only boot MBR
GUID partation table
master boot record [32 bit record limit]

will your hardware boot from a USB 3.0 port?
otherwise just use a SATA port for the SSD
and if short SATA ports
https://www.newegg.com/p/14U-00N3-00001 ... lsrc=aw.ds
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

RayCJ
Starter
Starter

Post by RayCJ »

was-armandh wrote:
31 Dec 2019 03:18
which to use depends what your computer will boot GPT is the newer/better but older hardware might only boot MBR
GUID partation table
master boot record [32 bit record limit]

will your hardware boot from a USB 3.0 port?
otherwise just use a SATA port for the SSD
and if short SATA ports
https://www.newegg.com/p/14U-00N3-00001 ... lsrc=aw.ds
I'll have to check if it boots from a USB 3 port. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't and soon I'll go find-out. Thanks for the tip about the PCI SATA card. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

I'll report back here once I test this out.

Ray

RayCJ
Starter
Starter

Post by RayCJ »

UPDATE: Booting from a SSD connected through a USB3.0 port worked just fine. The SSD was a Crucial 240 GB SSD, connected with a USB 3.1 to 2.5" SATA conversion cable. The cable supports UASP for SATA III. ( $12 US https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017N ... UTF8&psc=1 ).

On a temporary basis, I created a new Live USB using the 12.1.0.4.7091 release. After booting from the new thumb drive, the SSD (connected with the USB) was recognized and the latest OS was loaded onto it. The system was able to boot from the new USB/SSD just fine. I was able to login to ver 12.1.0.4 through the GUI and see the existing storage drives. Since this was just a practice session, the old config file was not loaded. When the next stable version becomes available, I will re-do these steps and upgrade to it.

I still do not know if BSD supports TRIM over UASP. Since the drive is basically enormous (240 GB), I won't worry if the TRIM commands don't work. It will take an eternity for the drive to get fragmented. Wear-leveling will not be a problem for the expected lifetime of this server. My main goal was to have a backup plan if/when the 4 year old thumb drive fails. -Mission accomplished!

While I was working on this, I used "imageusb" to create a .bin image file of the 4 year old 16GB flash drive. I'll get a new 16GB flash drive, burn the .bin file onto it and see if that works. I hope it works so I will have spare SSD and USB cable to play around with.

Ray

was-armandh
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by was-armandh »

these under $10 USB-3 case and cable works fine [ASROC FM2 board] USB-3 rear connector
with an inexpensive 120 GB SSD https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAc&uact=5
no more excuses, for more usb thumb drive problems
P1191634.JPG
Amazon
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

crowi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by crowi »

You can try the newfs -t command to enable TRIM ( https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?newfs(8) ) , usually it should accept it, if the device is capable for TRIM.
On the other hand, if you use the embedded install, there are actually no writes on the drive, except for changes on the configuration, so TRIM is not urgently needed. ;)
NAS 1: Milchkuh: Asrock C2550D4I, Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core, 16GB DDR3 ECC, 5x3TB WD Red RaidZ1 +60 GB SSD for ZIL/L2ARC, APC-Back UPS 350 CS, NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3460 embedded
NAS 2: Backup: HP N54L, 8 GB ECC RAM, 4x4 TB WD Red, RaidZ1, NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3460 embedded
NAS 3: Office: HP N54L, 8 GB ECC RAM, 2x3 TB WD Red, ZFS Mirror, APC-Back UPS 350 CS NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3460 embedded

was-armandh
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by was-armandh »

CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Return to “Install XigmaNAS”