*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

GPT or not pt - that is the question

New installs of XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Ahab
NewUser
NewUser

GPT or not pt - that is the question

Post by Ahab » 01 Feb 2019 14:04

Hello,

I am replacing/expanding a Z2 pool of 6x 6TB WD Red HDDs with 6x 12TB HGST He12 (or Western Digital DC 520), which are 512e format. All are in an external chasis https://www.silverstonetek.com/product. ... 83&area=en, connected via a Lenovo ThinkServer 9300-8e PCIe 8-Port External SAS Adapter, which I am probably going to flash with generic broadcom firmware and bios (it's an LSI SAS-9300-8e).

When researching a different question, I came across this post from JoseMR: viewtopic.php?t=12139#p76100

Is formatting with the option "Create ZFS on a GPT partition" checked still recommended?

Sadly for me, I have only seen that post after almost finishing replacing all the drives in the pool, meaning that I will have to reformat and resilver each disk again, which has taken me a week so far! I realise it isn't essential but want to do what is best however.

I am on the latest version of XigmaNas, using JoseMR's excellent RootOnZFS installed on mirrored SSDs.

Any thoughts welcome!

tony1

Re: GPT or not pt - that is the question

Post by tony1 » 01 Feb 2019 17:32

it won't matter, if you are replacing a disk it will take on the format of the pool.
so if your pool is mbr then a resilver will take on that format.
then only way to change the format is to destroy the pool, recreate it and restore from backups.

Ahab
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Ahab » 01 Feb 2019 19:37

Ah ok, thank you; I don't think I will be doing that then.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 01 Feb 2019 19:41

Ahab wrote:
01 Feb 2019 14:04
Hello,

I am replacing/expanding a Z2 pool of 6x 6TB WD Red HDDs with 6x 12TB HGST He12 (or Western Digital DC 520), which are 512e format. All are in an external chasis https://www.silverstonetek.com/product. ... 83&area=en, connected via a Lenovo ThinkServer 9300-8e PCIe 8-Port External SAS Adapter, which I am probably going to flash with generic broadcom firmware and bios (it's an LSI SAS-9300-8e).

When researching a different question, I came across this post from JoseMR: viewtopic.php?t=12139#p76100

Is formatting with the option "Create ZFS on a GPT partition" checked still recommended?

Sadly for me, I have only seen that post after almost finishing replacing all the drives in the pool, meaning that I will have to reformat and resilver each disk again, which has taken me a week so far! I realise it isn't essential but want to do what is best however.

I am on the latest version of XigmaNas, using JoseMR's excellent RootOnZFS installed on mirrored SSDs.

Any thoughts welcome!

Hi Ahab, if you already set your ZFS pools using RAW disks it is ok, also later versions of XigmaNAS will auto set the ashift accordingly so no worries.

The "ZFS on GPT" is mostly for system administration(sysadmin) convenience such as disk labels, leaving a small free space on HDD's and/or extra overprovisioning on SSD's, as well as for more complex partitioning scenarios etc.

Personally I think that labels are very useful and facilitate disk removal of failed drives wen they are labeled by unique ID's, such as "disk-XXXX" for example, where the XXXX are the last 4(or even more) digits of the disk serial number, and XigmaNAS can do this from WebGUI.

Note that you can also ping for a failed disk activity LED for removal, however not every system have accessible/front disk activity LED's nor all failed drives behaves the same, and makes this method abit dangerous wen pulling drives.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Install XigmaNAS”