*New 12.1 series Release:
2019-11-08: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7091 - released!

*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Boot issue after power failure.

New installs of XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Boot issue after power failure.

Post by gomario » 29 May 2019 19:56

Hi there. I am Mario from South Africa. Sadly we regularly have electrical power failures. Usualy I have a backup PSU. I also fully backup my 4GB boot USB stick as well as my config file. But I gotten lazy and did not check the status of my backup battery system for quite some time. I also can not find the duplicate of my USB mem stick. While I was at work the electrical grid went offline for 1h or so. When I got home my server booted but got stuck right at the end. Here is a print from its screen. I know how to reinstall the system and fortunatelly I have a recent Config file but is there a shortcut regarding fixing the boot routine without going thru a re-install? If possible a step by step command help would be great. I am not good in BSD command line :(
IMG_20190529_194131.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cookiemonster
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Boot issue after power failure.

Post by cookiemonster » 29 May 2019 23:24

If I were you I probably try to recover just to learn but if you're not familiar with the commands it is a rabbit hole you wouldn't want to follow if you just want to go back to a usable system. It's unlikely you'll find a step by step tutorial since who knows how bad is the damage. Looks like a damaged filesystem to me.
Luckily you have a backup. Best to reinstall, import config and be done with it.
Main: Xigmanas 11.2.0.4 x64-full-RootOnZFS on Supermicro X8DT3. zroot on mirrorred pair of CRUCIAL_CT64M225. Memory: 72GB ECC; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; Storage: (HBA) - LSI SAS 9211-4i with 3 SATA x 1 Tb in raidZ1, 1 x 3 Tb SAS drive as single stripe.
Spare1: HP DL580 G5; 128 GB ECC RAM; 4 CPU; 8 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare2: HP DL360 G7; 6 GB ECC RAM; 1 Xeon CPU; 5 x 500 GB disks on H210i
Spare3: HP DL380 G7; 24 GB ECC RAM; 2 Xeon E5645 CPUs; 8 x 500 GB disks on IBM M1015 flashed to LSI9211-IT

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 30 May 2019 10:23

gomario wrote:
29 May 2019 19:56
is there a shortcut regarding fixing the boot routine without going thru a re-install? If possible a step by step command help would be great.

Hello, after the stop screen, you may try executing "fsck -f -y" and reboot after manual filesystem checks finish, between as cookiemonster already pointed out, you can just reinstall and import config for best results.

Note that UFS/SU+J is a very fragile filesystem and prone to breakage upon ungraceful shutdown/power lost, even worse wen running from USB sticks, consider replacing the UPS battery asap.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
JoseMRPubServ(temporary down)

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 30 May 2019 10:43

for your especial needs, please consider to use ZFS instead UFS is more robust when power faillure happens
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario » 30 May 2019 18:41

Thank you for the reply. I want to say, my server is runnig a very robust, 5x4TB discs in ZFS1 configuration. Over the years I have learned how this works and it saved my butt more than once :-)
However, on the same system I run other isolated discs (old ones). The info on this disc is not important at all (Home Surveilance Cameras). In the end it turned out that one of this old, 2TB discs had an issue because of the power failure. I had some free time and decided to also fully upgrade the system to the latest Xigmanas. The ZFS File system came back right away. No issues whatsoever :-) But I had to completely format the "faulty" 2TB drive (the one which gave the problem). I notice now that some sectors have been marked as 'permanently faulty' (the drive works though). It is on its last legs and I expect it to completely crash within the next few months. As I said, it is only surveillance video data on it. Do you think that when it finally crashes can it somehow "break" my main ZFS1 file system? If you think so than I will take it out right away and rather sit without Video Surveillance until I can afford a new drive.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 30 May 2019 19:20

gomario wrote:
30 May 2019 18:41
Do you think that when it finally crashes can it somehow "break" my main ZFS1 file system? If you think so than I will take it out right away and rather sit without Video Surveillance until I can afford a new drive.

Don't worry at all, go ahead to format the drive and switch to ZFS, if the driver later crash it only takes offline said zpool, not foreign zpools/devices, ZFS is extremely resilient and reliable.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro

Flanker_27
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Flanker_27 » 26 Jun 2019 15:54

Thanks for the recommendation about ZFS, it'll save my life as I have power outages regularily in summer as well (everyone in the apartment block runs their a/c and ventilator = lights out for the entire block)

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario » 09 Jul 2019 10:03

JoseMR wrote:
30 May 2019 10:23
gomario wrote:
29 May 2019 19:56
is there a shortcut regarding fixing the boot routine without going thru a re-install? If possible a step by step command help would be great.

Hello, after the stop screen, you may try executing "fsck -f -y" and reboot after manual filesystem checks finish, between as cookiemonster already pointed out, you can just reinstall and import config for best results.

Note that UFS/SU+J is a very fragile filesystem and prone to breakage upon ungraceful shutdown/power lost, even worse wen running from USB sticks, consider replacing the UPS battery asap.

Regards
Once again the system went off line. This time there was no power failure. It just stopped working overnight. I performed "fsck -f -y" with no results. Everything checks out 100% but it does not boot (see picture)I have once again downloaded the last version and after USB Install, all is fine like nothing happened. But if I restore the .config file once again thigs go bad. Nothig helps. Can it be the Mem Stick?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario » 09 Jul 2019 10:46

After some more research I came to the conclusion that something is wrong with the old .conf file and somehow is not getting updated with the new. Is there a way to manually delete the entire folder and recreate it - empty? Hopefully when updating with the backedup .conf everything will be OK. I am logged in as "admin" but I can not change any permission nor can I delete the file :-(
ConfFolder.jpg

was-armandh
experienced User
experienced User

Post by was-armandh » 09 Jul 2019 15:19

are you still using the original USB stick?
if so replace it or, if you have a spare SATA port, replace it with a SSD
my experience with USB is mostly bad, old USB sticks even worse!

fortunately ZFS is mostly bullet proof

if it wont boot with the data drives unplugged its the boot or hardware
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 20 Jul 2019 12:08

Hi, looks like you need a branded/better USB Stick for Embedded platform and re-try install, or simply switch to RootOnZFS(SSD Mirrored Recommended) and end with the previous unexpected behaviors on power failures.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario » 24 Jul 2019 19:45

How can I switch to "RootOnZFS"? Yes, I use the cheapest Mem Sticks I can get but the Mem stick is not the issue. It looks like some boot data gets saved on one of my auxiliary UFS formated discs and that is the problem. The disc is old too. Never new that the OS uses it. I thought that only the USB and RAM is used but now I know better. This server is only ment for my ZFS file system. The 5 ZFS discs are new with zero errors. The 2 other auxiliary discs are old, with lots of errors on them but they are there "just to play" with. Now XigmaNAS decided to use one of them as some sort of .conf file backup. And there is my problem. It is a old PATA drive :-)
How can I switch to "RootOnZFS"?

Return to “Install XigmaNAS”