Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Step by step to embedded 11.2.0.4.6195 or above from below 6154

For "upgrading" from FreeNAS/NAS4Free Legacy to XigmaNAS and upgrading XigmaNAS to newer builds.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
CheshireCat
NewUser
NewUser

Step by step to embedded 11.2.0.4.6195 or above from below 6154

Post by CheshireCat » 25 Nov 2018 16:49

This note is an updated version of my note from 2017-12-27 on upgrading from 10.x.x.x to 11.x.x.x. As that note has had 4000+ views, it appears that the topic is of interest.

It records an upgrade process that worked for me starting from 11.1.0.4.x. It is not necessarily the "right" way to do the upgrade. I couldn't find any similar information, so I noted down what happened when I ran the process. If these notes help anyone else do the upgrade, then it has been worth writing them. The whole operation took a little over an hour, including making notes and taking photos. There are probably better ways to do the job so comments may well help other people. I wrote the notes as instructions to myself with comments. If they work for you, great. If not, why not tell people what went wrong and how you fixed it?

Hardware: 2012 vintage HP Microserver N40L, 8GB ECC memory, 2x4TB WD red drives (ZFS mirror), 2x6TB WD red drives (ZFS mirror). Normally headless but can easily have a monitor, keyboard and mouse attached. The N40L has an internal USB socket and four external sockets. It can be booted from any of the five USB sockets. There is no optical drive on this system.

This is a 64 bit system, hence capable of running 11.x.x.x.

Preparatory work is done on Windows 10.

Hardware pre-requisites: two USB thumb drives of at least 4GB capacity in addition to the drive already in the NAS. Having drives of different sizes can make it easier to distinguish between the drives. For the upgrade to 11.2.0.4.6195 I used an 8GB SD card in a USB carrier as the source device because I couldn't find another suitable thumb drive. I prefer to format the drives as FAT32 in a single partition but it may well not be necessary. If the USB drives have previously been used as NAS4Free embedded systems, they will have several partitions on them. The free software "Rufus" from https://rufus.akeo.ie will reformat USB drives easily even when they have multiple partitions. Multiple non-Windows filing systems on a device seem to confuse my version of Windows 10 and the screen floods with messages.

Software pre-requisites: Live USB file from https://sourceforge.net/projects/xigmanas/files/ - it is important to read the "readme" text. The file downloaded will be an img.gz file.
Software to load the img.gz file on to a USB drive. The XigmaNAS project suggests using "Win32DiskImager" https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ but "Etcher" https://etcher.io works well for me when working with Raspberry Pi .img files so that is what I used here. Etcher will load images direct from .img.gz files, which makes life slightly easier.

Information pre-requisites: Network settings. I use a static address for my NAS so I need to collect various pieces of network information. If Network > LAN Management IPv4 settings > Type shows "DHCP", this is probably not relevant. Using the WebGUI, navigate to "Network > LAN Management" and note the network settings or photograph them. Navigate to System > General and scroll down the page to find the IPv4 DNS server address.

Task list:
1) Backup the NAS4Free config using "System > Backup" from the WebGUI. Store the backup somewhere other than on the NAS! I like to keep copies on at least one PC and at least one USB stick (not one I'm going to use later in the process) and to check that the files are readable.
2) Load the LiveUSB system on to a USB - as noted above, I used an SD card on this occasion and it worked fine. Etcher reported that the process had worked correctly. Windows then complained that some of the partitions needed formatting so I cancelled all the messages and removed the USB device.
3) Shutdown the NAS using "System > Shutdown" from the webGUI. When safely shut down, disconnect power.
4) Connect keyboard, mouse and monitor. From here to step (30), I used the keyboard, mouse and monitor. I haven't tried using SSH for this process so can't comment.
5) Remove existing embedded system USB drive.
6) Insert live USB drive in external USB socket.
7) I disconnected all my data drives at this point to eliminate the risk of corrupting them during the upgrade. As far as I could tell, this caused no problems. As the data disks and the USB carrying the current system are not connected during the update, it should be possible to return to the previous configuration at any stage before step (26).
8) Boot up the NAS. This takes some time on the N40L, which is quite slow.
9) A screen will briefly appear saying "Welcome to XigmaNAS!" and offering various boot options. The default worked for me, which is just as well because it doesn't give you long to select an option.
10) Eventually the system pauses, showing a screen with the WebGUI Address and a list of options that can be selected by entering a number. There is also the statement
"The installation requires a storage medium from which the computer can be started. This can be a USB memory stick, a SSD or a hard disk. Attention, all data on the installation device will be deleted!"
11) Insert the clean 4GB USB drive into internal socket. Given the comments on the screen in the previous step, it probably doesn't need to be clean.
12) Select option 9 "Install/Upgrade from LiveCD/LiveUSB".
13) After various messages about the devices found, a screen headed "XigmaNAS Install & Upgrade Menu" appears. Select "Install 'Embedded' OS on HDD/SSD/CF/USB (Preferred)". This is the default. Tab keys move round the options and Enter selects.
14) A screen headed "XigmaNAS Embedded Install Options Menu" appears. Select the default "Install 'Embedded' OS/GPT on HDD/SSD/CF/USB (Preferred)".
15) A screen headed "XigmaNAS Embedded Installation" appears. It tells you what partitions will be created. The only options are "OK" and "Cancel". Select "OK".
16) A screen headed "Choose Source" appears. For me, there was only one option "da0 TS-RDF5 SD Transcend TS37" which seemed plausible for a Transcend SD carrier. Select the drive.
17) A screen headed "Choose destination" appears. This listed "da1 4.00GB <SanDisk Cruzer Blade 1.26>", which seemed right for a SanDisk Cruzer stick. Select da1. [When upgrading from 10.x.x.x to 11.x.x.x I did not remove the data drives so these appeared as options at the equivalent stage. Writing to a data disk at this stage could seriously ruin your day.]
18) A screen requires one to select the size of the OS partition. I chose the recommended value as I don't know any better.
19) A screen requires one to select the size of the swap partition. Again, I chose the recommended value as I don't know any better.
20) A screen requires one to enter the size of the DATA partition. There is no default here. I entered "ALL" (without the quotes) as there seems little point in doing anything else.
21) A screen shows creation of partitions and file systems. At the bottom of the screen a percentage appears at the left and estimate of remaining time at the right.
22) After the installation completes, a screen appears reporting that XigmaNAS has been installed on da1p2. "You can now safely remove the LiveCD/USB and reboot the server". In addition, there is information about how to use the DATA partition. I photographed the screen to record the information. "Press Enter to continue".
23) The screen displayed previously at (13) above appears. Select "Exit".
24) The options previously shown in step (10) are shown. Select option 8, "Shutdown Server" and confirm that you "really want to shutdown the server".
25) Wait until system has powered down, then remove power from server and remove the LiveUSB.
26) Reconnect data drives if disconnected.
27) Reboot the NAS. It should now boot from the embedded system just installed and display the screen as at (10) with the default network address (192.168.1.250). The "Console Menu" offers a list of options. Select option 2, "Configure Network IP address". At this point, the information logged under "information pre-requisites" is required.
28) My system doesn't use DHCP, so answer "no" to "Do you want to use DHCP for this interface", then in response to "Enter new LAN IPv4 address" give the address I use. The next question is "Enter new LAN subnet mask". I am using an address in the 192.168.1.* range, so enter 24 here. The IPv4 default gateway should have been logged in the information pre-requisites section.
29) Set up the network information. When complete, the system will tell you how to access the WebGUI, finishing with "Press ENTER to continue".
30) The console menu seen in step (24) now appears. I didn't need the keyboard and mouse from here onwards.
31) Use the WebGUI to access the NAS, logging in as user admin with password nas4free.
32) Backup the config using "System > Backup" as in (1) above. It is unlikely that this config will ever be required again, so multiple storage is probably not necessary.
33) Restore the config from the backup taken in (1) above using using "System > Restore". The NAS will reboot as soon as the configuration has been restored.
34) When the server is fully running, log in from a browser using the credentials you used before the upgrade. Your data should now be accessible as it was before the upgrade.
35) Backup the configuration as in (1) above and save in multiple places.
36) Shutdown the NAS, disconnect the power, disconnect the keyboard, mouse and monitor.
37) Reconnect the power, Reboot the NAS.

Job done!
NAS4Free 11.2.0.4.6195
HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz
8GB ECC RAM
2*4TB WD Red as ZFS mirror; 2*6TB WD Red as ZFS mirror
Intel NIC

Karel
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Step by step to embedded 11.2.0.4.6195 or above from below 6154

Post by Karel » 07 Jan 2019 20:29

Thanks for this task list. It gave me enough confidence to upgrade. A few remarks:
in step 31 the password is xigmanas; step 20 never turned up. First time I accepted the size suggestions for OS size (step 18) and swap size (step 19), the result was that the system would not create the partitions in step 21. Probably because OS + Swap size did not leave room for a Data partition. After reducing the swap suggested size so that a Data partition was possible, step 21 completed.

CheshireCat
NewUser
NewUser

Post by CheshireCat » 08 Jan 2019 23:48

@Karel: Thank you for your helpful comment.
I apologise for transcribing the password from my previous note on the subject: you are quite correct that the password is xigmanas.
Your observations about partition size are entirely reasonable. What size of USB stick were you using? My system has a 4GB USB stick. The default OS partition size was given as 2048M (which I accepted) and the SWAP minimum was 512M, recommended size 1024M. I accepted 1024. I don't like the idea of using a USB as swap space and would prefer to set it to zero but that option is not offered. The data partition minimum is given as 256M but there seems little point in not responding "ALL" as it can't be used for anything else.
It is good to know that amending the partition sizes enabled you to complete the job.
NAS4Free 11.2.0.4.6195
HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz
8GB ECC RAM
2*4TB WD Red as ZFS mirror; 2*6TB WD Red as ZFS mirror
Intel NIC

turbo
NewUser
NewUser

Post by turbo » 09 Jan 2019 03:05

thanks for this list! very handy, especially when i put the monitor away after finishing the install, forgetting that i have to configure ethernet/DHCP on the first boot.

your guide had the default ip of .250 so i was able to get in and restore my old config without connecting the dang monitor again :lol:

Matsushito
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Matsushito » 07 Jun 2019 15:35

CheshireCat wrote:
25 Nov 2018 16:49
33) Restore the config from the backup taken in (1) above using using "System > Restore". The NAS will reboot as soon as the configuration has been restored.
Thanks for the detailed description - I did it, but unfortunately the configuration could not be restored.
The working version is Nas4Free 11.1.0.4 - Atomics (revision 5403).
The new version is XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 (rev.6315).
Older then version 11.2.0.4.6315 on https://sourceforge.net/projects/xigmanas/files/ I did not found...
When I try to restore the configuration, I get an error - wrong format or password

What do you advise?
Thank you.
NAS4Free 11.1.0.4.5403

Lee Sharp
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Lee Sharp » 09 Jun 2019 20:35

Did you backup the configuration unencrypted with no password?

Matsushito
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Matsushito » 10 Jun 2019 08:38

Yes, config unencrypted with no password. Is it important?
Now the working Nas4Free system is installed on the internal disk.
A new version of XigmaNAS I installed on a USB-drive. Previously made a backup of the installed version unencrypted without a password. After an unsuccessful attempt to update the system, I booted from the internal disk and successfully restored the configuration from saved config file.
So - the configuration file is Ok.
NAS4Free 11.1.0.4.5403

Return to “Upgrade XigmaNAS”