*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

[Solved] Root-on-ZFS: Unable to Update via WebGUI (boot partition size)

For "upgrading" from FreeNAS/NAS4Free Legacy to XigmaNAS and upgrading XigmaNAS to newer builds.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
mymlan
NewUser
NewUser

[Solved] Root-on-ZFS: Unable to Update via WebGUI (boot partition size)

Post by mymlan »

Hey all,

I recently reinstalled to a new Root-on-ZFS install from a classic UFS "Full" install. Everything went smoothly, but now when I go to update via the WebGUI I get an error that the boot partition on the root disk is too small. The boot parition "freebsd-boot" is 512K, whereas the swap is 2G and the "freebsd-zfs" is 18G.

I didn't notice an option to expand the boot partition during install, only the zroot partition size. I run a lot of additional packages so I'd like to avoid reinstalling if possible, but I'm willing to do just that if I can get back the WebGUI updates of the embedded systems.

I've attached an image of the boot disk partitions. Has anyone else run into an issue like this?

Thanks all!
zroot.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mymlan on 28 Apr 2018 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Root-on-ZFS: Unable to Update via WebGUI (boot partition size)

Post by JoseMR »

mymlan wrote:
26 Apr 2018 21:34
Hey all,

I recently reinstalled to a new Root-on-ZFS install from a classic UFS "Full" install. Everything went smoothly, but now when I go to update via the WebGUI I get an error that the boot partition on the root disk is too small. The boot parition "freebsd-boot" is 512K, whereas the swap is 2G and the "freebsd-zfs" is 18G.

I didn't notice an option to expand the boot partition during install, only the zroot partition size. I run a lot of additional packages so I'd like to avoid reinstalling if possible, but I'm willing to do just that if I can get back the WebGUI updates of the embedded systems.

I've attached an image of the boot disk partitions. Has anyone else run into an issue like this?

Thanks all!

zroot.PNG

Hello and welcome to the forums, for NAS4Free RootOnZFS Firmware Upgrades, you need to download the file ending in .tgz, for example "NAS4Free-x64-full-11.1.0.4.5403.tgz" this extension will call the RootOnZFS upgrade mechanisms.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

mymlan
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mymlan »

JoseMR wrote:
26 Apr 2018 22:28
Hello and welcome to the forums, for NAS4Free RootOnZFS Firmware Upgrades, you need to download the file ending in .tgz, for example "NAS4Free-x64-full-11.1.0.4.5403.tgz" this extension will call the RootOnZFS upgrade mechanisms.

Regards
Thanks for the snappy reply! I have the .tgz file downloaded, but the WebUI will not allow me to push via the the GUI. It complains that my boot partition is too small. I've attached a screenshot of the Firmware Update page.

Thanks for all the help and the amazing OS!
updateerror.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mymlan
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mymlan »

I just noticed that it's asking me to resize the boot partition of nvd2, which is a secondary data disk no longer attached to the system. That may be the issue! I'll try a reboot with the disk detached and see if that fixes it.

mymlan
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mymlan »

Hmm. Even upon reboot it still seems to be looking to the disk nvd2 for the boot partition. The system works normally otherwise, so I'm not sure what conf file I need to change to point it back to nvd1 (my actually boot disk).

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

mymlan wrote:
26 Apr 2018 22:40
I just noticed that it's asking me to resize the boot partition of nvd2, which is a secondary data disk no longer attached to the system. That may be the issue! I'll try a reboot with the disk detached and see if that fixes it.

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue, maybe old Embedded code validation messing with zroot, I will try to reproduce this today as RootOnZFS does not need any legacy UFS partition/resize procedures, since all zroot upgrades are performed in a separate boot environment dataset and later activated.

I will update on any finds.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS Mirror, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

mymlan
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mymlan »

JoseMR wrote:
26 Apr 2018 22:51
Hello, thanks for reporting this issue, maybe old Embedded code validation messing with zroot, I will try to reproduce this today as RootOnZFS does not need any legacy UFS partition/resize procedures, since all zroot upgrades are performed in a separate boot environment dataset and later activated.

I will update on any finds.

Regards
Thanks again! It looks like it's pointing exclusively to the non-missing nvd2 disk that was my old ufs boot disk from my pre-ZFSonRoot install. I attached it to pull some data files and then detached and disconnected the disk. I'm not sure if there's something in there that messed with the update settings, but I cleared and re-imported disks afterwards.

I'll keep tinkering away on my end to see if I can get this sorted out. Thanks so much!

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

mymlan wrote:
26 Apr 2018 22:55
I'll keep tinkering away on my end to see if I can get this sorted out. Thanks so much!

Hello, I was unable to reproduce this issue even upgrading from my very earlier internal RootOnZFS testing images, it would be nice if you post your specific system/setup so I can try it out, there is indeed no reason on why your system is calling/asking for a detached UFS device for a boot partition verify/resize, as ZFS boot environment upgrade works at datasets level. :?

EDIT: While I'm still unable to reproduce, you can point your device "nvd1" to "/etc/cfdevice" command below:

Code: Select all

echo "nvd1" > /etc/cfdevice
Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

mymlan
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mymlan »

JoseMR wrote:
26 Apr 2018 23:47
Hello, I was unable to reproduce this issue even upgrading from my very earlier internal RootOnZFS testing images, it would be nice if you post your specific system/setup so I can try it out, there is indeed no reason on why your system is calling/asking for a detached UFS device for a boot partition verify/resize, as ZFS boot environment upgrade works at datasets level. :?

EDIT: While I'm still unable to reproduce, you can point your device "nvd1" to "/etc/cfdevice" command below:

echo "nvd1" > /etc/cfdevice
Regards
Well you were right! /etc/cfdevice only had nvd2 listed as an entry. The moment I updated it, the WebUI Firmware Update worked immediately! My guess is that I may have swapped around the disks after the initial install; that the install OS was originally on nvd2 and nvd1 was the old disk. I must have rescanned the busses after pulling the old disk.

Thanks for all the help! You can consider this SOLVED!

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

mymlan wrote:
28 Apr 2018 22:23
Well you were right! /etc/cfdevice only had nvd2 listed as an entry. The moment I updated it, the WebUI Firmware Update worked immediately! My guess is that I may have swapped around the disks after the initial install; that the install OS was originally on nvd2 and nvd1 was the old disk. I must have rescanned the busses after pulling the old disk.

Thanks for all the help! You can consider this SOLVED!
I'm glad you managed and solved this odd issue and upgrades working now, indeed zroot installer update that file and appends all disk used at that moment, but can't update upon missing devices, so a manual rescan is indeed handy, thanks for taking the time and follow up to solve it.

Regards
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

experienced User
experienced User

Re: [Solved] Root-on-ZFS: Unable to Update via WebGUI (boot partition size)

Post by 744700595 »

How do you do。 I met this problem, too. How to solve it, please? I don't understand your solution too well. Is it a correction?
err.png
e1.png
Favorite to kill the red devil
FreeBSD users from China. English is limited and posted using Google Translate. If the expression is not clear, please forgive me!

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

744700595 wrote:
15 May 2018 11:01
How do you do。 I met this problem, too. How to solve it, please? I don't understand your solution too well. Is it a correction?

err.pnge1.png

To be honest I don't even know how to reproduce this "Ghost" BUG , I'm really disappointed about this and even I was alone wen I just edited that WebGUI page to make RootOnZFS possible to be upgraded through WebGUI, I even think this platform should be deprecated.

I think I should just stop this and deprecate "NAS4Free RootOnZFS" for the benefit of everyone, NAS4Free will remain as an embedded Platform and RootOnZFS are just creating confusion and being used by novices who don't even know how to use beadm.

Sorry for inconvenience.
Jose Rivera
JMR
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

Please do not deprecated, is very usefull, only need to use big warning to tell novice users that is a powerfull tool but need some experience to use, thats all.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

experienced User
experienced User

Post by 744700595 »

I have tested it in the old version and I can use it. I didn't think there was a problem with the latest edition. The biggest problem is that my machine is online and can no longer be offline.
Favorite to kill the red devil
FreeBSD users from China. English is limited and posted using Google Translate. If the expression is not clear, please forgive me!

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR »

raulfg3 wrote:
15 May 2018 12:52
Please do not deprecated, is very usefull, only need to use big warning to tell novice users that is a powerfull tool but need some experience to use, thats all.

Sorry for being kinda harsh about rootonzfs, it just depress me being unable to reproduce a bug wen clearly multiple people experienced it already.

Regards
JMR
XigmaNAS RootOnZFS
Addons at GitHub
BastilleBSD
Boot Environments Intro
Resources Home Page

Maurizio
Starter
Starter

Post by Maurizio »

Hi,
my first post ;) .
The same problem here.
I have installed the previous 11.2 beta RootOnZFS on a pair of USB3 memory stick in mirror. I have used a different PC than the actual server for the installation and the content of /etc/cfdevice was:
da5 da6

Today, for upgrading the server, I have modified /etc/cfdevice as:
da0 da1

the actual configuration of the zroot pool, from the command line via ssh:

$ zpool status -v zroot
  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zroot             ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/sysdisk0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/sysdisk1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
$ gpart show -l  da0
=>      40  30310320  da0  GPT  (14G)
        40    409600    1  efiboot0  (200M)
    409640      1024    2  sysboot0  (512K)
    410664      7128       - free -  (3.5M)
    417792   4194304    3  swap0  (2.0G)
   4612096  25690112    4  sysdisk0  (12G)
  30302208      8152       - free -  (4.0M)

$ gpart show -l  da1
=>      40  30310320  da1  GPT  (14G)
        40    409600    1  efiboot1  (200M)
    409640      1024    2  sysboot1  (512K)
    410664      7128       - free -  (3.5M)
    417792   4194304    3  swap1  (2.0G)
   4612096  25690112    4  sysdisk1  (12G)
  30302208      8152       - free -  (4.0M)
Where the label sysdisk0 is on the device da0 and the label sysdisk1 is on device da1.
--
Maurizio
XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 on Dell R710 144GB RAM - RootOnZFS zroot on 2x 64GB 15k HDDs in mirror, zdata on 3x 1TB SSD in RAIDZ1.
2x XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 - RootOnZFS on HPE Proliant Microserver gen10 X3216 - 3x 4TB WD RED. In mirror with zrep.

Return to “Upgrade XigmaNAS”