Latest News:
2019-03-31: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6625 - released!

Latest BETA Release:
2019-03-31: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6625 - BETA released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Folder Access Permissions Login prompt

Authenticating users & groups on XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Six_Shooter
Starter
Starter

Folder Access Permissions Login prompt

Post by Six_Shooter » 03 Feb 2019 04:07

I'm not sure if this is the correct section or not.

I have an issue that I've struggled with in the past and don't recall how I solved if, if I ever did or if it just worked itself out. And my Google-Fu is failing me in finding a solution right now.

This may also be more of a Windows (10) issue, but it seems that any information I find for the Windows side is discussing access a Windows based server, and those solutions don't seem to work for me.

Anyway. I'm upgrading my PC, and I'm testing the hardware in a test setup, to find any possible issues, such as this...

I'm using nas4free 10.3.0.3 - Pilingitam (revision 3379)

The problem is that when I try to access the password protected folder (The one I have set up for me specifically), I get a Network error, and no way of inputting the credentials to access it.

I've tried adding the credentials manually under the the Windows Credentials settings, which didn't change anything.

Is there a way to force the login screen to come up when clicking on a folder? I can't seem to find a way.

I can read from and write to the public folders on the NAS from the new (Windows 10) PC, and access other Windows PC shares on the same network.

Luckily I haven't taken apart my existing system (to swap in the upgraded parts) that can access this folder yet, so I can still access it from there.

I'm not sure if it matters but, the old system that can access the folder from is Windows 7, and has been able to access the folder for a number of years. The new PC is running Windows 10.

Once I figure this out I can then upgrade my PC... :)

If you can even point me to a guide that shows how to solve this that I might not have been able to find I'd appreciate that too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MyNAS
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD ATHALON II X2 255
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Boot Drive: 2GB Kingston DataTraveler 2.0
Storage: (UFS) 14+ TB usable WD Red and Green drives
PSU: Corsair TX650
Case: Antec 300
Other: APC UPS (USB connected)

Six_Shooter
Starter
Starter

Re: Folder Access Permissions Login prompt

Post by Six_Shooter » 04 Feb 2019 06:56

Well...

It looks like I solved it...

While looking for solutions I came across a bunch of different things, I re-read about updating credentials, tried a few things there, referencing my Win 7 PC, still no joy.

I was reading through a Microsoft page and came across a section that mentioned something about the computer name... So I decided to check that on my system, for some reason it was set to "DESKTOP" and not the name I put in when setting up the computer. So I changed the name of the computer, (different than my Win 7 PC, BTW) restarted,. I was prompted with some certificate pop up upon reboot, hit "proceed". Then as soon as I tried to access the NAS I was prompted for credentials, put in the proper password... eventually lol, I can now access the password protected folder.
MyNAS

Six_Shooter
Starter
Starter

Re: Folder Access Permissions Login prompt

Post by Six_Shooter » 18 Feb 2019 21:50

I'm still having the same problem with my wife's tablet (Windows based). The computer name seems ok, and changing it didn't resolve the issue like it did with my desktop.

Any other ideas on how to resolve this on her tablet?
MyNAS

Return to “Local Users & Groups”