*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-13: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7743 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-09-12: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7741 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Users and groups not showing in GUI...

Authenticating XigmaNAS users using Active Directory or NT PDC
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Cloggs
NewUser
NewUser

Users and groups not showing in GUI...

Post by Cloggs »

Hi,

I have successfully joined my XigmaNAS installation to my Samba AS environment without any issues. I can see users with

Code: Select all

getent passed
and

wbinfo -u
. I can see groups with

wbinfo -g
. With SSH enabled, I can even login with an AD user. Basically, everything looks good on that side of things.

However, despite this, there is a disconnect between the OS side of things and GUI side of things....users and groups are not appearing in the backend, so I am unable to assign any share permissions.

I've seen similar posts, but I've not seen any conclusion, or the thread went dead so I'm hoping someone can respond and advise!

The only thing I can think of is that AD users and groups have UID's and GID's which are 10 digits long and that there is some kind of range set in the code that is not allowing the users and groups above a certain range to show up?!

I've not seen any id ranges that can be configured in the backend, sadly.

Thanks!

tonci
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Users and groups not showing in GUI...

Post by tonci »

I'm facing this problem too.
Xigmanas 12.x latest . After successful AD domain join, AD users show up correctly in MS Domain information, wbinfo & getent return everything they should from AD.
NTFS permissions on the shares work exactly how I want them to work.
BUT, I cannot manage access on the share level .... This shared dataset is always open to everyone and everybody can write on the root level of the share. I can manage the 1st level folders of the share by ntfs permissions, but cannot manage share's root ....
On the dataset level (in the gui) AD users&groups do not show up to be selected ... only local xigmanas users do

I haven't tried 11.x version ... Is it possible to import 12.x pool into 11.x ?

I kindly ask for help & support ?

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards

Tonci

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Re: Users and groups not showing in GUI...

Post by ms49434 »

tonci wrote:
12 May 2020 02:11
I'm facing this problem too.
Xigmanas 12.x latest . After successful AD domain join, AD users show up correctly in MS Domain information, wbinfo & getent return everything they should from AD.
NTFS permissions on the shares work exactly how I want them to work.
BUT, I cannot manage access on the share level .... This shared dataset is always open to everyone and everybody can write on the root level of the share. I can manage the 1st level folders of the share by ntfs permissions, but cannot manage share's root ....
On the dataset level (in the gui) AD users&groups do not show up to be selected ... only local xigmanas users do

I haven't tried 11.x version ... Is it possible to import 12.x pool into 11.x ?

I kindly ask for help & support ?

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards

Tonci
From a member windows machine, logged in with sufficient admin rights, run

compmgmt.msc /computer=[your XigmaNAS samba AD and file server]
At some point you will probably see an error message (The procedure number is out of range) which you just accept.
Manage your share permissions and security from System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares.

The above is described in detail in the Samba wiki documentation: Setting Share Permissions and ACLs
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

Return to “Active Directory”