*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

System account via LDAP

Authenticating XigmaNAS users using LDAP.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
briansea
NewUser
NewUser

System account via LDAP

Post by briansea » 04 Jan 2013 02:33

This is probably a very basic question, but is the LDAP integration one that authenticates system accounts?

Use case:

I have exported NFS shares from nas4free. These get mounted on other servers. All of those servers authenticate aganist, and use the userids from, our ldap server. This allows us to enforce permissions for these users with our current nfs server(which also uses the ldap severs). Is this possible with nas4free?

Thank you!
Brian

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: System account via LDAP

Post by al562 » 04 Jan 2013 04:35

Hi Briansea,
Welcome to the NAS4Free forum. Below is information you may find helpful.

Please read and follow the Forum Rules & Guidelines and the FAQs.
By doing so you will:
  • Understand what information you should provide when you ask a question or report a problem/bug. By providing all information upfront you will get faster and better answers; that's what you want right?
  • Find the answer to your problem in the FAQs or use the Advanced search to search the forum.
  • Help us understand your problem and allow us to provide an accurate answer/solution without asking additional questions.
  • Help the community by keeping the forum clean, focused and professional.
  • Remember to use WebGUI Tab> Help|Report Generator when creating new topics/threads.
  • If you have not, then please read the latest Setup & User Guide.
AFAIK it should work just fine, however I do not use LDAP personally. Other members here do in many different scenarios with different degrees of success. Best advice is to try it and if you have problems post specific questions. Members with more LDAP experience will try to help you if at all possible.

Best of luck,
Al

briansea
NewUser
NewUser

Post by briansea » 04 Jan 2013 04:44

Hi, and thank you for the reply. I hesitate to try it without more information (couldn't find any docs on it either), since I've inherited the server/setup, and know little about it and would prefer not to learn by failing.

Thank you,
Brian
Brian

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 » 04 Jan 2013 05:50

Hi Brian,
briansea wrote:since I've inherited the server/setup, and know little about it
You are one lucky duck!
Who gave you the shirt with the cool looking pattern?
Bullseye.jpg
You are doing the right thing. Sadly things like LDAP/system/network administration can't be learned overnight/out of a book. You're going to have to mess around with it sooner or later, just try to find out as much as you can before and be ready for trouble (backups anyone?). Once youve fixed a half dozen messes you'll be OK ;) .

Regards,
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)”