Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

CIFS/SMB shares

CIFS/SMB network sharing.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
jonyyybe
NewUser
NewUser

CIFS/SMB shares

Post by jonyyybe »

Hi all,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody.

I have downloaded the N4F - 2016-12-09: NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3330 (11.0.0.4 - Sayyadina (revision 3330)) - and installed on a USB memory stick 2 days ago and playing with it.

This is where I come and ask your help as I couldn't not find information or anything pointing exactly at this matter.

My issue being that this N4F Server will be a Windows Share. What I want to achive(not sure if in this point in time its possible with this version of N4F which I have installed on my system) is to setup 3 Datasets which will be managed (owned,wrx) by 3 different windows 10/8.1 users. Example:

Datasets:
1. A Share (it's a dataset)
2. C Share (it's a dataset)
3. S Share (its' a dataset)

CIFS/SMB
1. A Share (it's a share) it's linked to A Share dataset - user1 full access (user2 and user3 just to see it under windows shares - no read no access)
2. C Share (it's a share) it's linked to C Share dataset - user2 full access (user1 and user3 just to see it under windows shares - no read no access)
3. S Share (it's a share) it's linked to S Share dataset - user3 full access (user1 and user2 just to see it under windows shares - no read no access)

Now at the creation of the datasets and shares (do I need to leave defaults all configs default or what to tick on/off) what needs to be configured so for user1 (let's say, which is not created under Access in any of users/groups - no affiliation) should be only able to see (browseable-just to see all 3 shares and only have access to his own share) all the shares (not be able to read,create,execute, to see nothing more that the share was assigned to him) - so this user1 should be able to go inside A Share do what he wants there; user2 should be able to access just C Share only as user1 gets access only to A Share. The same for user3 just to be able to access his S share and be able just to see (to see the shares,no access to them, no read , no nothing to A and C Share) the other A and C Share.

All this above access its coming from Windows machine - so what I need to do or how to setup the datasets,shares,acceess(users/groups) in N4F for this to work.

User1 has a Windows 8.1/10 machine - his username and password differs from
User2 has a Windows 10 machine
User3 has a Windows 10 machine

Anyway I have looked for more information and found all these (still unable to resolve my issue) :
http://www.forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?t=4986
http://www.forums.nas4free.org/viewtopi ... 21&t=11390
http://n4f.siftusystems.com/index.php/2 ... ions-acls/
http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1552
http://wiki.nas4free.org/lib/exe/fetch. ... ewrite.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOMfwVsYDYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6FIrtrxn38
Version 11.0.0.4 - Sayyadina (revision 3330)
Platform x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100T CPU @ 3.20GHz
System GA-Z170N-WIFI-CF, 16GB RAM, White Node 304, Bequiet 450W Gold - all collers stock
ZFS RAID-Z2 - 6x1TB-RAIDZ2 (4WD+2Segate)

billgayler
Starter
Starter

Re: CIFS/SMB shares

Post by billgayler »

If you are familiar with Active Directory there is quite a simple way to set this up that would allow you to manage everything through the normal Windows administration channels.

I originally used the Nas4Free local Users & Groups facility as the thought of implementing a home AD networks seemed like overkill but I kept on having problems with the windows access permissions on shared folders getting a bit lost. Active Directory is well supported through the built-in SAMBA AD tool in Nas4Free. It takes a bit of time and a lot of research to set it up but I have found it to be worth it. It also supports a neat way to provide home folders for each user with a log in to your network, just as you would find on a work computer.

If you are interested I could put together a quick guide, although there are probably a whole load of users on here that are a lot smarter and a lot better informed than I am on this. Let me know.
Version: 11.0.0.4 - Sayyadina (revision 3330)
Platform: x64-embedded on AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor
System: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78LT-M-LE
Mem: 4GB, Storage: ZFS (4.5TB - Rsync local - 4.5TB)

billgayler
Starter
Starter

Post by billgayler »

OK. I got a bee in my bonnet today and finished off my guide. I hope it is useful to anyone that needs to set up an AD.

It is in docx/pdf and it looks like I can't upload it to the forum unfortunately. If anyone would like a copy PM me.

PS - constructive amendments and improvements from any N4F experts will be greatly welcomed and the document can be updated and reissued accordingly.

However comments from anyone that just wants to tell me how misguided I am and that I should scrap my system and implement some technically incomprehensible solution instead - please just keep them to yourself.

Thanks

jonyyybe
NewUser
NewUser

Post by jonyyybe »

Hi billy,

I want to thank you for your time and effort and of course your findings are more than welcome - although this is not what I'm looking for to setup an AD with DC which needs to run all the time - my NAS it not 24/7 its just from time to time turned on.

I work with Windows and AD/DC/DHCP/DNS... etc all Windows Server Roles & Features at work so I have quite a good experience with Windows, less with Linux/Unix but this it will change in time as I build on my NAS and doing testing and researching with it.

I'm very open to constructive discussions and make things move forward - thank you.

Also I did find a way for the moment which is working and was what I was looking for but it should be a more easy way.

So what we need to do to make this work is that the Windows user (case sensitive) needs to be created under N4F users and assigned to a security group in N4F (create a new one) and this security group needs to be added to the Datasets (Access restrictions Tab) and tick read/write/execute and you are done - for this to work (I mean the share to be accessible) you need to login on the windows machine with the user ID created in N4F - same user and password.

If anyone needs to explain again I will but the first youtube video linked up it will explain the same as I did.
Version 11.0.0.4 - Sayyadina (revision 3330)
Platform x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100T CPU @ 3.20GHz
System GA-Z170N-WIFI-CF, 16GB RAM, White Node 304, Bequiet 450W Gold - all collers stock
ZFS RAID-Z2 - 6x1TB-RAIDZ2 (4WD+2Segate)

Don Stefano
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Don Stefano »

billgayler wrote:
26 Dec 2016 18:02
OK. I got a bee in my bonnet today and finished off my guide. I hope it is useful to anyone that needs to set up an AD.

It is in docx/pdf and it looks like I can't upload it to the forum unfortunately. If anyone would like a copy PM me
Hi,

I would like to see your guide because I'm having problems with my SMB config.
Thanks in advance
Stefan

RobertoBenzi
Starter
Starter

Post by RobertoBenzi »

billgayler wrote:
26 Dec 2016 18:02

It is in docx/pdf and it looks like I can't upload it to the forum unfortunately. If anyone would like a copy PM me.

PS - constructive amendments and improvements from any N4F experts will be greatly welcomed and the document can be updated and reissued accordingly.

However comments from anyone that just wants to tell me how misguided I am and that I should scrap my system and implement some technically incomprehensible solution instead - please just keep them to yourself.

Thanks
I'd like to get a look at that guide too, but can't PM you unfortunately
NAS4Free 10.2.0.2 x86 Embedded (revision 1814) MoBo: ASUS P5SMX-SE CPU: Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz RAM: 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 Network Adapter: SiS 968 Integrated Gigabit + Kraun KR.X5 PCI NIC Storage: Building up, ATM 1,66 TB (2x500 GB SATA HDD RAID1, 500+250 GB SATA HDD JBOD + 250+160 GB PATA HDD Spare)
Installation Media: 1GB USB Flash w/o Swap
Running Services: CIFS/SMB (Kind of)

billgayler
Starter
Starter

Post by billgayler »

I need to get on my laptop to get a copy of the file for you. I'll send it over tonight/tomorrow.

buick
NewUser
NewUser

Post by buick »

billgayler wrote:
03 May 2020 20:50
I need to get on my laptop to get a copy of the file for you. I'll send it over tonight/tomorrow.
Perhaps just upload it to a file-sharing service?

Return to “CIFS/SMB (Samba)”