*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Strange samba problems w/ new Win 10 install

CIFS/SMB network sharing.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Strange samba problems w/ new Win 10 install

Post by jamaroney » 23 Dec 2018 22:18

OK, this is a weird problem that just arose, and I'm hoping someone w/ Windows 10 computers as part of their network can help me.

My network consists of:
XNAS (latest embedded version) - Samba settings were set to "Default" on Min/Max Client/Server protocols
3 Windows 10 Pro PCs (all w/latest updates)
Android media player
Linux media player
DD-WRT router

All PCs and devices were able to see/access shares from each other.

However, one of the PCs was unstable in the last couple months, so yesterday I bit the bullet and gave it a fresh re-install of Windows 10 Pro w/ all updates (deleting all previous data on the HDD). All went well, except that afterward it couldn't access XNAS shares (it saw XNAS, but couldn't open any of the shares within). Yet it could still access all other Samba shares from all other PCs and devices. And all my other PCS and devices worked well as before.

After some trial and error, the only way I could get the newly installed Win10 PC to open XNAS samba shares was to change XNAS's Samba "Server Max Protocol" to "NT1 (CIFS)", which I've never had to do before.

Any thoughts?

Shperrung
experienced User
experienced User

Re: Strange samba problems w/ new Win 10 install

Post by Shperrung » 24 Dec 2018 23:09

Problem is in Win10, IMHO.
I have the same. I just map network drive directly typing path to shared folder in NAS while Win7 see all devices in my network.
11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6177)
ASRock J3710-ITX, LAN: Realtek RTL8111GR; 16Gb RAM; WD 1Tbx2, WD 2Tb; UPS Powercom WOW500U.

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Strange samba problems w/ new Win 10 install

Post by jamaroney » 25 Dec 2018 14:24

But what I don't understand is that the PC was fine before the re-install of Win 10 Pro. And the other two Win 10 Pro PCs worked fine w/ the original settings.

The only thing I can think of is that all three Win 10 PCs had an XNAS-compatible setting that was perhaps "grandfathered" in as they underwent gradual updates, whereas a fresh install of the most recent Win 10 Pro has a different setting (which I can't determine) that's incompatible with default XNAS Samba protocol settings.

Return to “CIFS/SMB (Samba)”