*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Zeroconf/Bonjour not advertising services

CIFS/SMB network sharing.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
liam
NewUser
NewUser

Zeroconf/Bonjour not advertising services

Post by liam » 01 Feb 2019 22:55

I am running 11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6400)

I am trying to get my SMB shares working with Time Machine after moving the server downstairs. I can reach the server via the web guide, ssh etc. I can also connect to the server from finder if I use the Finder->Go->Connect to Server route. However the shares do not show up in Tim Machine, nor in the Finder. When I run 'dns-sd -Z _adisk local' on the mac I see my Synology, my Qnap, my Apple Server and my Time Capsules - but no XigmaNAS shares.

System->Advanced->Enable Zeroconf/Bonjour to advertise services of this device is ENABLED
The name in Services > CIFS/SMB > Settings for Workgroup is WORKGROUP on all systems
Local Master Browser is set to YES
My Shares have Browsable set to Set browseable ticked.
Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) Compatibility Settings is ENABLED
VFS fruit:time machine has Yes - Enables Time Machine support for this share ENABLED

I have rebooted both the Mac and the server multiple times today but I cannot get the NAS to advertise the shares.

Can anyone see what I am not seeing?
Thank you
Cheers, Liam
  • ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
    11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6400)
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz
    16GB Memory
    Boot - USB flash drive
    4 x Hitachi 2TB drives in a 7.28TB ZFS pool

liam
NewUser
NewUser

[SOLVED] Re: Zeroconf/Bonjour not advertising services

Post by liam » 18 Apr 2019 22:39

This problem mostly went away after I moved the NAS from the other side of a Powerline device and a restart of my router, my wireless access points and my switches. After that when I connect to the share via the Finder Go to Server option the NAS share shows up in the Time Machine Prefs and I am again able to select it as a target for backups.

The NAS shows up in the finder sidebar on my 10.13 High Sierra Mac, but doesn't show up in finder on 10.14 High Sierra. So somehow the bonjour in Mojave isn't playing nicely with the bonjour on the NAS.

I suspect that the Powerline device was not passing the multicast packets. My Synology is also behind a Powerline, but a different model, and it shows up as browsable in Finder and Time Machine Prefs so that lead me down a number of rabbit holes. :-)

I'm calling it 'solved' as I can now get Time Machine to see the shares with a bit of manual work, and because it show up as discoverable in 10.13.

Cheers, Liam
  • ProLiant MicroServer Gen8
    11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6400)
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610T @ 2.30GHz
    16GB Memory
    Boot - USB flash drive
    4 x Hitachi 2TB drives in a 7.28TB ZFS pool

Return to “CIFS/SMB (Samba)”