*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Samba Home Directories

CIFS/SMB network sharing.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Pennywise
NewUser
NewUser

Samba Home Directories

Post by Pennywise » 09 Jan 2013 10:39

Just converted my Nas over from freenas v8 to nas4free (and loving it) but can not see how to configure cifs to enable home directories. freenas v8 has a checkbox in the cifs config page "Enable home directories"

It just adds the [homes] section in the smb.conf and creates a share for each user.

ie
if I have 1 share for every user called Media and "enable home directories" enabled.

User1 gets 2 shares Media and User1
User2 gets 2 shares Media and User2

Thanks

Pennywise

Pennywise
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Samba Home Directories

Post by Pennywise » 09 Jan 2013 10:58

Just solved it, created a "homes" share, setting :
path to /mnt/Raid01/Home/%U
browseable to no
guest to no

and adding 2 auxilary parms:
valid users = %U
force user = %U

thanks

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 » 09 Jan 2013 19:26

Hi Pennywise,

Your solution is a good one and works well, but I think you missed that a home directory is automatically created if you specify it when creating the user. You just need to fill in the path for "Home Directory" in WebGUI Tab> Access|Users|Add if you put nothing in it defaults to /mnt. So, for example, if you create /mnt/home and then create each user with /mnt/home/username as a home directory they will be created automatically.

Do I remember you from the old forum? :)

Regards,
Al

Pennywise
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Pennywise » 10 Jan 2013 05:19

al562 wrote:Hi Pennywise,

You solution is a good one and works well, but I think you missed that a home directory is automatically created if you specify it when creating the user. You just need to fill in the path for "Home Directory" in WebGUI Tab> Access|Users|Add if you put nothing in it defaults to /mnt. So, for example, if you create /mnt/home and then create each user with /mnt/home/username as a home directory they will be created automatically.

Do I remember you from the old forum? :)

Regards,
Al
I imported my zfs volumes from my freenas install so home directories already existed, but I'm not talking about creation of actually home directories on disk, its the homes samba share which gets created on the fly when the user authenticates.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch06.html
The [ homes] Section

If a client attempts to connect to a share that doesn't appear in the smb.conf file, Samba will search for a [homes] share in the configuration file. If a [homes] share exists, the unresolved share name is assumed to be a Unix username. If that username appears in the password database on the Samba server, Samba assumes the client is a Unix user trying to connect to her home directory on the server.
I dont think it was me on old forum, only new around here. A lot of people seem to use pennywise, although I might be the original, been using it since bbs days in early 90's

Return to “CIFS/SMB (Samba)”