Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

XCRC/XMD5/etc not working?

File transfer protocol.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

XCRC/XMD5/etc not working?

Post by hastdotwhat »

I recently upgraded to the latest (12.1.0.4.7683) version of XigmaNAS, which I'd been deferring for awhile because it required a complete reinstall rather than an upgrade, and was hoping to use XCRC et al, which should be enabled. Services | FTP has an 'IfModule mod_digest.c' directive, however none of the mod_digest functions are available:

Code: Select all

211-Features:
 CLNT
 EPRT
 EPSV
 HOST
 LANG en-US*
 MDTM
 MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
 MFMT
 MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.groupname*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;UNIX.ownername*;
 REST STREAM
 SITE MKDIR
 SITE RMDIR
 SITE SYMLINK
 SITE UTIME
 SIZE
 TVFS
 UTF8
211 End
and I can't find proftpd.conf in the usual locations (/etc, /usr/local/etc). proftpd itself seems confused by this:

fatal: unable to read configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf': No such file or directory
Anyone know what's going on here? /var/log/proftpd is empty so that's no help.

hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

Re: XCRC/XMD5/etc not working?

Post by hastdotwhat »

A partial answer, looks like it's been compiled with mod_digest disabled:

# proftpd -list
Compiled-in modules:
  mod_core.c
  mod_xfer.c
  mod_rlimit.c
  mod_auth_unix.c
  mod_auth_file.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_ls.c
  mod_log.c
  mod_site.c
  mod_delay.c
  mod_facts.c
  mod_dso.c
  mod_ident.c
  mod_auth_pam.c
  mod_ratio.c
  mod_readme.c
  mod_rewrite.c
  mod_site_misc.c
  mod_tls.c
  mod_wrap.c
  mod_wrap2.c
  mod_wrap2_file.c
  mod_ban.c
  mod_ctrls_admin.c
  mod_ctrls.c
  mod_lang.c
  mod_ifsession.c
This seems wrong since it was added in an early 1.3.6 release, and the XigmaNAS config thinks it's there. If anyone can confirm this I'll file a bug report.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

The proftpd configuration file can be found in /var/etc/proftpd.conf.
The mod_digest module was never included in any build and therefore no ifmodule directive exists for this module in the configuration file.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

Post by hastdotwhat »

Thanks for the config file location. However, mod_digest has been part of proftpd since 1.3.6 so AFAIK it should be in the default build, the XigmaNAS proftpd version is 1.3.6d for which it's been in there for awhile. And as I mentioned above, XigmasNAS' FTP config page in the web interface has an <IfModule mod_digest.c> entry in it and the proftpd.conf has:

<IfModule mod_digest.c>
  DigestCache off
</IfModule>
implying that it's supposed to be there.

ms49434
Developer
Developer

Post by ms49434 »

hastdotwhat wrote:
18 Aug 2020 00:23
Thanks for the config file location. However, mod_digest has been part of proftpd since 1.3.6 so AFAIK it should be in the default build, the XigmaNAS proftpd version is 1.3.6d for which it's been in there for awhile. And as I mentioned above, XigmasNAS' FTP config page in the web interface has an <IfModule mod_digest.c> entry in it and the proftpd.conf has:

<IfModule mod_digest.c>
  DigestCache off
</IfModule>
implying that it's supposed to be there.
It looks like you've put the above IfModule directive into the Additional Parameter field on the FTP service configuration page.
1) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 22GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, LSI 9300-8i IT mode in passthrough mode. Pool 1: 2x HGST 10TB, mirrored, L2ARC: Samsung 850 Pro; Pool 2: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, SLOG: Samsung SM883, services: Samba AD, CIFS/SMB, ftp, ctld, rsync, syncthing, zfs snapshots.
2) XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4 amd64-embedded on a Dell T20 running in a VM on ESXi 6.7U3, 8GB out of 32GB ECC RAM, IBM M1215 crossflashed, IT mode, passthrough mode, 2x HGST 10TB , services: rsync.

hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

Post by hastdotwhat »

Not as far as I know, it was a complete reinstall. Unless I set it years ago when I was trying to set up a custom build of proftpd and it's been carried along in the saved config since then...

hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

Post by hastdotwhat »

Found an older copy of the saved config, yeah, it was carried along from when I had a custom-built proftpd installed that had mod_digest support enabled. My bad.

Having said that, any chance of having mod_digest enabled out of the box? We've got a bunch of FTP jobs that occasionally have problems with losing blocks, and having XCRC etc enabled would help with that. It's been part of proftpd for several years now, you just need to build with

--with-modules=mod_digest
I'd been using a custom build to get this, but it was a pain having to keep updating manually every time a new XigmaNAS release came out.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

hastdotwhat wrote:
18 Aug 2020 01:21
I'd been using a custom build to get this, but it was a pain having to keep updating manually every time a new XigmaNAS release came out.
perhaps a jail is what you need?.

you can have a isolated FTP running that are not affected by O.S updates
12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7743) on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 11x3TB disk in 1 vdev = Vpool = 32TB Raw size , so 29TB usable size (I Have other NAS as Backup)

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

Post by hastdotwhat »

raulfg3 wrote:
18 Aug 2020 08:33

Hmm, interesting idea, hadn't thought of that. Mind you I'd really prefer to have it there out of the box so it'll get automatically updated with new XigmaNAS releases, if I jail it I'll probably forget about it and end up in the future still running some old unpatched release.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

hastdotwhat wrote:
18 Aug 2020 08:41
raulfg3 wrote:
18 Aug 2020 08:33

Hmm, interesting idea, hadn't thought of that. Mind you I'd really prefer to have it there out of the box so it'll get automatically updated with new XigmaNAS releases, if I jail it I'll probably forget about it and end up in the future still running some old unpatched release.
but if works, why not ?, and remember a jail is isolated, so not update is really not a big problem.

And keep in mind that your request probably are not use ( to include the modules), because it are never included previously.

Please consider to install OBI, and then Bastille from OBI webGUI viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14848
12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7743) on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 11x3TB disk in 1 vdev = Vpool = 32TB Raw size , so 29TB usable size (I Have other NAS as Backup)

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

hastdotwhat
Starter
Starter

Post by hastdotwhat »

raulfg3 wrote:
18 Aug 2020 12:16
And keep in mind that your request probably are not use ( to include the modules), because it are never included previously.
That's why I'm requesting it now, if it was already included previously I wouldn't need to request it :-). Thanks for the other info, will look in a minute.

Return to “FTP”