*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

FTP and system folder

File transfer protocol.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

FTP and system folder

Post by ptpstudio » 30 Nov 2016 18:01

How to achieve this - when anonymous ftp users login. They can see my system folder what is create on my CF card where is elso system installed. I have partition 4 on CF I formatted and use it for my webpage and minidlna scan results. When change for RWX only owner after reboot is permission change again and anonymous users can see it but no change it. I like to hide this system folders so no anynymous can see it at all but hwoto keep it working for webserver and dlna need? How to restrict anonymous users to see only folders I choose?

tony1

Re: FTP and system folder

Post by tony1 » 01 Dec 2016 15:48

by default ftp will list folders in /mnt for anonymous ftp users login.
so if you have to set your permissions correctly on the datasets you are sharing.
if you set the permissions as 777 on your home directory than anyone will be able to see it's content and it is a very bad idea.

if your user is authenticated and has the correct permissions, belongs to the correct group they will be able to see all files on the system and is normal behavior.

you can use "Auxiliary parameters" in the GUI, Services > FTP to configure advanced options. maybe create a directory only for anonymous ftp use?

so create a dataset with user & group set as ftp with others denied.

then in "Auxiliary parameters" you could use something like,

<Anonymous /mnt/tank/ftp>
User ftp
Group ftp
UserAlias anonymous ftp
</Anonymous>

look in the proftp manual for other options.
read on securing an ftp server if it is exposed the the WAN.

ptpstudio
Starter
Starter

Re: FTP and system folder

Post by ptpstudio » 03 Dec 2016 13:41

tony1 wrote:by default ftp will list folders in /mnt for anonymous ftp users login.
so if you have to set your permissions correctly on the datasets you are sharing.
if you set the permissions as 777 on your home directory than anyone will be able to see it's content and it is a very bad idea.

if your user is authenticated and has the correct permissions, belongs to the correct group they will be able to see all files on the system and is normal behavior.

you can use "Auxiliary parameters" in the GUI, Services > FTP to configure advanced options. maybe create a directory only for anonymous ftp use?

so create a dataset with user & group set as ftp with others denied.

then in "Auxiliary parameters" you could use something like,

<Anonymous /mnt/tank/ftp>
User ftp
Group ftp
UserAlias anonymous ftp
</Anonymous>

look in the proftp manual for other options.
read on securing an ftp server if it is exposed the the WAN.
Great this is work - but- I have 4 disks plus one system disk thats need to be hide from anonymous. But others disks have to be expose to anonymous. Can I put more " <Anonymous /mnt/tank/ftp> " mountpoint for anonymous so they can see? Or how I can do this ?

Return to “FTP”