*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

How to Tunnel SSH using Putty in Windows

Secure shell connections.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
arxaios
Starter
Starter

How to Tunnel SSH using Putty in Windows

Post by arxaios » 29 Apr 2015 11:46

Hello ,

I would like to tunnel all http traffic through ssh on my Nas4free ..!! I couldn't do that BUT I did it on my Ubuntu System easily.

I do not understand what to do than the normal operation unless this NAS4FREE has a firewall and blocks everything.

First things first ...

1] I want to access the WebGui through SSH using Putty and Firefox or any other browser

What I have done ..

I open forward ports on my router at home --> Port 82 for the webGui .

2] I have changed the port on my Nas4free to use port 82 on http for webgui

3] putty settings

I have made in the category of putty -> SSH -> Tunnels -> destination entry field = <<my ddns name given from noip>> :82
and in source field i put = 8080
I choose local , remote and dynamic but didn't work either of them .
4] I change my browser in my network field enabling the Manual Proxy Configuration and putting SOCKS host = 127.0.0.1 or localhost and in port field I put 8080 (the same as I put in Putty as a source port.)

5] I connect through my putty using SSH credentials and with root access . All ok . I have a connection with my Nas4free.

Now I write to my browser in ip address field = localhost:8080 AND IT SHOULD BRING ME THE WEBGUI OF NAS4FREE ...!! NO it did not ..!!
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?? Everythink is ok , unless there is some firewall on NAS4FREE who block the connection .....?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know what to do??? I cannot even serf the net through my NAS4FREE , when I should be ... WHY AGAIN ????????????
Anybody??

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to Tunnel SSH using Putty in Windows

Post by b0ssman » 29 Apr 2015 12:13

destination should not be
<<my ddns name given from noip>> :82
and the webserver port is 80

it should be the internal address of the nas4free server
eg. 192.168.1.100:80
Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

arxaios
Starter
Starter

Post by arxaios » 29 Apr 2015 13:21

My nas4free is listening on port 82 after the change I made from home and it is working fine inside my network.

I tried what you say , even I find this odd and didn't work. !

b0ssman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b0ssman » 29 Apr 2015 15:04

also make sure that your local machine is not running anything on port 8080.
Nas4Free 11.1.0.4.4517. Supermicro X10SLL-F, 16gb ECC, i3 4130, IBM M1015 with IT firmware. 4x 3tb WD Red, 4x 2TB Samsung F4, both GEOM AES 256 encrypted.

arxaios
Starter
Starter

Post by arxaios » 29 Apr 2015 20:06

Yes i know and thank you but still no progress .

I found something ... I will enable tunneling in SSH Service (I haven't done this) I will click on Permit to do SSh tunneling

I will also change the WEB GUI from http to https and I will open port 443 on my router. !

then I will try to access it from the Internet ..I will post tomorrow the results..!! In the mean time I will post a solution to the windows share ..!

Have a nice night

arxaios
Starter
Starter

Post by arxaios » 30 Apr 2015 06:52

Well I did it...!! You have to put the server in HTTPS for security reasons ans of course you have to do something else as well.

You have to go to system -> general and in the hosts allow I put a musking of IP Addresses like :

0.0.0.0/1 128.0.0.0/2 192.0.0.0/3 224.0.0.0/4 240.0.0.0/5 248.0.0.0/6 252.0.0.0/7 254.0.0.0/8

The above gave me access to the WEBGUI log on from outside network.

Have fun .

P.S. I will post HOW to implement CIFS/SMB for Windows 8 and 8.1 (This needs discussing a lot..!!)

arxaios
Starter
Starter

Post by arxaios » 30 Apr 2015 07:46

Well here again...

I made the test with tunneling and is working perfectly ..!! Here is what I did :

In Services -> SSH -> check the option in the TCP Forward = Permit to do SSH Tunneling. (This is very important)

Because I have enabled the HTTPS for security reasons I opened the 443 port on my router at home (do port forwarding according to your router's manual)

Also port 22 should be opened on your home router . ONLY this.!

Well now fire up the PUTTY software from within windows .

The settings of PUTTY are :
--------------------------------

Go to Category -> Connection -> in the option "seconds between keepalives" = 300 ( I put this because putty is keeping disconnecting without a reason. I googled this and find out that this is a PROBLEM of windows . So the higher the number is the better..!! Or you can use you favorite SSH client Tunneling Client you have.!)
Go to Category - > SSH -> Tunnels -> Source Port = 8888 (or put something big , it is your choice.This will be the port in your browser in the SOCKS section...later this!)
I checked the Dynamic option and press the button "Add" (You will see a D8888 on the upper window or what ever port number you chose.)
Nothing else in these options.

Go to Category -> Session -> in the Host name IP option I put the IP Address of my DDNS name of my home router ( I am using the NOIP service for DDNS in the http://www.noip.com site)

I chose connection type SSH and port 22 .
THATS IT . Press the button "open"
Connect to your NAS4FREE using root privileges access . (I do not know if this will work with user account as well..If someone dose this please post)
LEAVE PUTTY OPEN ALL TIMES.

Now go to your browser
--------------------------
I am using Firefox so I will explain settings in this browser but you can change your own browser using these settings.

Go to Tools -> options -> Network tab -> press "Settings" button
check Manual Proxy Configuration -> In SOCKS Host type "localhost" and in port type the source port you choose in PUTTY , in my case 8888
Check SOCKSv5 and Remote DNS.

Thats it , press OK.

The end.

IF everything is ok , then you will browse the internet trough your own connection at home.
Of course you have to have a good upload speed at home because this is the speed of your download speed.

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT WAY TO BYPASS YOUR FIREWALL AT WORK . If port 22 is open at your work network then fear nothing.
TIP : You can change the SSH port in what ever it suites you if you find an open port in work's firewall that it OPEN. Very important is for your
work's router to pass SSH connection.
HAVE FUN.

P.S. I will post a post for CIFS/SMB settings to work with windows 8 , 8.1
email : haris@arxaios.net , Site : http://www.arxaios.net , blog : arxaios-net.blogspot.gr.
Greetings from Greece.

ChriZathens
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ChriZathens » 30 Apr 2015 22:22

Great to see more Greeks around here!
Thanks for the howto!
My Nas
  1. Case: Fractal Design Define R2
  2. M/B: Supermicro x9scl-f
  3. CPU: Intel Celeron G1620
  4. RAM: 16GB DDR3 ECC (2 x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/8G)
  5. PSU: Chieftec 850w 80+ modular
  6. Storage: 8x2TB HDDs in a RaidZ2 array ~ 10.1 TB usable disk space
  7. O/S: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6625 -amd64 embedded
  8. Extra H/W: Dell Perc H310 SAS controller, crosflashed to LSI 9211-8i IT mode, 8GB Innodisk D150SV SATADOM for O/S

Backup Nas: HP N40L (4x1TB HP branded Seagate disks in RaidZ configuration - 8GB ECC RAM)

arxaios
Starter
Starter

Post by arxaios » 01 May 2015 23:10

Να είσαι καλά ρε αδελφέ...!!

Κσλή σου μέρα.!
Αρχαίος.

gmast
NewUser
NewUser

Post by gmast » 19 Oct 2015 04:23

Hello my fellow Greek!

I like your guide, but I have some trouble using tunneling:

I do have OpenSSH running on Uduntu on a different machine. Using Putty, I can tunnel through the Ubuntu machine without a hitch. I had the impression that I could just connect to Nas4free machine with SSH enabled and easily tunnel as before while using the Ubuntu machine. Unfortunately, this is not the case and although I have followed the guide you provide, I still cannot run the tunnel. Actually, Putty freezes immediately after I use the browser - say try to logon on google. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Giorgos

Return to “SSH”