Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

xigmanas server for macOS Mojave and timemachine

NAS4Free & Apple Filing Protocol.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Banagher
NewUser
NewUser

xigmanas server for macOS Mojave and timemachine

Post by Banagher » 22 Nov 2018 10:02

We are using xigmanas (11.2.0.04) as a timemachine server for macos clients. Very useful -- we would have lost valuable work without it.

The share was exported via afp only, Bonjour enabled, Time Machine checkbox ticked.

After upgrading to macos mojave (10.14) a client complained with the dreaded : "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported."

After searching on samba.org, I exported the share via cifs *and* afp and added the following options to smb.conf:

Code: Select all

durable handles = yes
kernel oplocks = no
kernel share modes = no
posix locking = no
fruit:advertise_fullsync = true
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:aapl = yes
and the Timemachine was happy again.

While I don't know if this is the right way to configure a server for mojave, I want to share my experience with you, as it might help someone with similar problems.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Questions:
  • Should we have a checkbox on the CIFS config page for Timemachine to set the appropriate options in smb.conf?
  • Is is expected behaviour, that we need both afp and samba?

Return to “AFP”