Latest News:
2018-11-29: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6229 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

xigmanas server for macOS Mojave and timemachine

NAS4Free & Apple Filing Protocol.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Banagher
NewUser
NewUser

xigmanas server for macOS Mojave and timemachine

Post by Banagher » 22 Nov 2018 10:02

We are using xigmanas (11.2.0.04) as a timemachine server for macos clients. Very useful -- we would have lost valuable work without it.

The share was exported via afp only, Bonjour enabled, Time Machine checkbox ticked.

After upgrading to macos mojave (10.14) a client complained with the dreaded : "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported."

After searching on samba.org, I exported the share via cifs *and* afp and added the following options to smb.conf:

Code: Select all

durable handles = yes
kernel oplocks = no
kernel share modes = no
posix locking = no
fruit:advertise_fullsync = true
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:aapl = yes
and the Timemachine was happy again.

While I don't know if this is the right way to configure a server for mojave, I want to share my experience with you, as it might help someone with similar problems.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Questions:
  • Should we have a checkbox on the CIFS config page for Timemachine to set the appropriate options in smb.conf?
  • Is is expected behaviour, that we need both afp and samba?

Return to “AFP”