*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

How do you setup a share multiple people can write to?

NAS4Free & Apple Filing Protocol.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
beandog
NewUser
NewUser

How do you setup a share multiple people can write to?

Post by beandog » 02 Mar 2013 00:18

Basically, subject.

I can create shares and users just fine, but how do I set it up so they can "share" a network share, where they both have read / write access to the same stuff?

Here's a sample scenario:

I create two users, macuser1 and macuser2. I also create a group, and add them both to the same one, macgroup. In the shares, I specify that @macgroup has read / write access to the share.

Then, I log in individually with macuser1 and create a new file or directory. Then I log in as macuser2 with their own credentials as well, and they can read the same files / directories, but can't modify or delete anything created by macuser1.

In my mind, since I gave the macgroup read/write access to the share, everyone in that group should be able to read / write to their own stuff. That's not happening though.

Do I need to change the filesystem permissions themselves, use ACL, or what? I'm stumped.

rocket
Starter
Starter

Re: How do you setup a share multiple people can write to?

Post by rocket » 04 Mar 2013 00:33

probably a umask setting happening on your client computers "macuser1" and "macuser2"

this may be of more help:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0
older system:
Platform x64-full on AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A785T-M Bios: 2002 03/18/2010
10tb pool

shiny new system:
Platform x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
System ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E LX
12gb RAM
running 11.20.4 - Omnius (revision 6766)

60tb, 15tb, and 10tb pools

rocketgirls know how to have fun

wazaus
NewUser
NewUser

Post by wazaus » 18 May 2013 07:00

Would really appreciate more info here. I read through the links apple discussion but not quite sure this is the fix for this issue... Surely everyone who uses afp is having this issue if they are using more than one account to create access and modify files. From my searching on here the problem seems to be ignored.

cozmok
Starter
Starter

Post by cozmok » 11 Sep 2013 21:03

I believe it's a bug with MacOS 10.7+, but only at the top-level. I had issues with this, when creating a folder at the top-level of the share (dataset is rwxr-x---). Using AFP to create a folder, it would set the permissions to rwx------, but when I used SMB, using the same acct, it was fine. So I made all my top-level folders with SMB, then made a second-level folder with AFP, and it was fine (rwxr-x---).

If devs want more testing, or clearer documentation of this, I can retest and provide it. Just let me know.

Return to “AFP”