*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Not sure if I have an rsync problem or ssh problem

Synchronize files & directories to/from NAS4Free with minimal data transfer.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
robothunter
NewUser
NewUser

Not sure if I have an rsync problem or ssh problem

Post by robothunter » 12 Sep 2016 21:16

I'm trying to use rsync to backup my Synology NAS to my NAS4Free box offsite. I want to begin the process locally because it's so much data. I have everything set up on my NAS4Free box. The problem is setting up rsync on my Synology. More specifically the SSH encryption. If I choose transfer encryption off it works. If I choose transfer encryption on I get an error message "Failed to establish the SSH connection. Please check...." I can log into my NAS4Free box using Putty so I know SSH is working. When I created my user name I set the Shell to sh, I made the primary group wheel and then I added admin and sshd groups for good measure. Any ideas?

Jack Foobar
experienced User
experienced User

Re: Not sure if I have an rsync problem or ssh problem

Post by Jack Foobar » 14 Sep 2016 21:08

Sounds like a Synology issue, yes. They have 5 years of full tech support. Why not ask them? I have no idea what packages they have on that thing, or even what OS it is. It sounds like they just don't have the package installed.

robothunter
NewUser
NewUser

Post by robothunter » 18 Sep 2016 03:56

After trying to use Syncthing as an alternative I went back to trying to get rsync to work. I kept tinkering with it and when I set the user to root it started working. I'm happy that rsync is working with encryption but using root to do it just feels wrong. I will continue to tinker.

robothunter
NewUser
NewUser

Post by robothunter » 22 Sep 2016 18:22

I finally found a solution to my problem on the Synology forums.
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=35216
Once I had that rsyncd.conf file in the right place (Step 7) I was good to go. I deviated from his instructions at step 8 because of Synology's new Hyper Backup system. I chose "Remote Data Copy" instead of "Remote rsync Server" because I wanted usable files on the backup server instead of compressed file chunks. Thanks for the suggestion Jack.

Return to “RSYNC”