*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

RSYNC clarification in NAS4Free wiki

Synchronize files & directories to/from NAS4Free with minimal data transfer.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Earendil

RSYNC clarification in NAS4Free wiki

Post by Earendil » 09 Jul 2017 05:53

I have been trying to get my Qnap TS-231 (source) to rsync with my NAS4Free NAS' (destination). I still have a couple issues with the 1st (2 core) NAS: 1) network dropoff that causes rsync to disconnect randomly, 2) rsync executable uses absurd amounts of CPU load on the 1st NAS and 3) SSH does not work. I just started rsync tonight on the 2nd (4 core) NAS so while I haven't seen 2), I can't do 3) and we'll see tomorrow if 1) occurs. Settings are the same between each NAS4Free NAS (including all compression disabled which increased speeds dramatically on the 2nd NAS but curiously not on the 1st NAS). Guess I'll keep chipping away at it to get it to work as I expect.

In my extensive research into rsync and how it works through the NAS4Free GUI, I had to share. Look here in this wiki page, under the RSYNC chapter and before the Server chapter to see what I added. Hope it helps! :D Comments are welcome.
Earendil

XigmaNAS server:
-AMD A10-7860K APU
-Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3HP w/16GB RAM
-Green & Red HDDs
--4x 2TB
--6x 4TB
-Syba SI-PEX40064 PCI-e 1x
-External Orico USB 3.0 5 bay HDD external enclosure set at RAID 5
--5x 2TB
-650W power supply

ijeffsc
Starter
Starter

Re: RSYNC clarification in NAS4Free wiki

Post by ijeffsc » 10 Jul 2017 11:56

Hi,

A few comments:

You might mention your specific rsync configurations in some detail if you want some help.

I read through your wiki article/additions. There is some good definitional context set up there. I didn't notice any reference to the two major protocol stacks that rsync can use. One is the rsync stack where the rsync client interacts with the rsync daemon. I'm not sure why anyone uses this anymore but it may be faster if you trust your network and want to avoid cpu costs of compression. The other is rsync over SSH which does not require the rsync daemon. Authentication is a little different and I prefer the latter because I just use already known logins on the local and remote machines.

There is a bug with rsync over SSH in the GUI which I think still exists. The lock file system doesn't work if you are running rsync as an ordinary user.

Somewhere in the forum I posted this and a work around.

I think for debug purposes it would be worth mentioning what all the GUI is doing in terms of creating scripts, lock files, logging etc.

I'd say more but my N4F box is down at the moment as the long term result of a move.

IJ
NAS4Free 10.3.0.3 (2617)
Intel Corporation D525MW 4GB
Promise SATA 300 TX4
HGST HTS721010A9E630 X 3 TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 x2 + spare ZFS R5

Return to “RSYNC”