Latest News:
2018-11-29: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6229 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS cost money, please consider a donation to our project so we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

What's the status of unison?

Bi-directional file and directory synchronization to/from NAS4Free while minimizing data transfer.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
rs232
Starter
Starter

What's the status of unison?

Post by rs232 » 16 Jul 2012 12:07

I know that unison was removed in freenas 8, and never really understood why.
According to the homepage the last development was released over a year ago (Ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_%28 ... ronizer%29).
So I just wanted to ask two questions:

1) Is people using it? Are you happy with it? Have you found any bug? Do you use 2-ways sync?

2) Is nas4free keen in maintaining unison in future builds or it might well go if not supported any more?

Thanks
rs232

d0hboy
NewUser
NewUser

Re: What's the status of unison?

Post by d0hboy » 14 Dec 2012 09:06

I'm a new user to nas4free and saw the unison feature listed among the other share-choices. I wish the Nas4free documentation wiki would be a little more descriptive on how to use it.

I typically use unison to replicate / backup specific directories on an ad-hoc basis. Contrast this with rsync (or deltacopy, or even crashplan) -- those are all set-and-forget solutions where you pick a directory and let it run on a schedule in the background.

For me, Unison is more for replicating stuff from an external USB drive, 'updating' my pictures folder with new / edited versions that I've modified on my laptop offline, things like that. Can't any SSH server allow unison functionality, though? I thought that was the beauty of unison, that you didn't have to have a daemon on the other end like you would with other solutions.

xuesheng
Starter
Starter

Post by xuesheng » 15 Dec 2012 11:41

I use rsync to perform ad-hoc backups of files. NAS4Free runs the rsync server and I use an rsync client on my Windows 7 computer to run the backups whenever I want. This setup suits my needs and works very well.

rbscycle
Starter
Starter

Post by rbscycle » 10 Feb 2013 13:36

I have been recently trying to get unison to work and I think I finally have it functional. It's pretty cool! If anyone is interested in the details? I'm running it from Ubuntu 12.10, copying changes to "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, DOSstiff".

rostreich

Post by rostreich » 11 Feb 2013 13:57

rbscycle wrote:I have been recently trying to get unison to work and I think I finally have it functional. It's pretty cool! If anyone is interested in the details? I'm running it from Ubuntu 12.10, copying changes to "Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, DOSstiff".
Feel free to write a tutorial, then it will be moved to the tutorial section ;)

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney » 20 Feb 2013 15:43

Yes, a tutorial would be great, as any instructions I've found on the web and N4F pages are pretty convoluted.

Also, what's the difference between Unison and RSYNC?

al562
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by al562 » 20 Feb 2013 20:59

Hello everybody,
rs232 wrote:What's the status of unison?
It is no longer actively developed - Rsync is.
d0hboy wrote:those are all set-and-forget solutions where you pick a directory and let it run on a schedule in the background.
Rsync can be run ad hoc, you just need to know what to enter on the command line.
d0hboy wrote: I thought that was the beauty of unison, that you didn't have to have a daemon on the other end like you would with other solutions.
You don't have to have a running process to use Rsync either, you can just call it via SSH. Running an Rsync daemon is a choice, not a necessity.
d0hboy wrote: I wish the Nas4free documentation wiki would be a little more descriptive on how to use it.
NAS4Free documentation is about NAS4Free, to understand use/configuration of services, etc. you are better off reading their specific documentation. The WebGUI provides basic functionality and some ability to customize different services for the majority of users where appropriate, it is not meant to provide a full graphical interface for every feature of every service. Some people will always have to use a command line to achieve advanced goals or special needs.
jamaroney wrote:what's the difference between Unison and RSYNC?
Unison is most appropriate when you intend to synchronize data and Rsync is more appropriate when you intend to backup data. You must understand what is meant by each word/process before you can understand when best to use Rsync or Unison ;) .
Personally my needs are mostly for backup so I mostly use Rsync.
rostreich wrote:Feel free to write a tutorial, then it will be moved to the tutorial section
Great idea, even better to take a look at the Wiki and update the User Guide section. There is a style guide (currently in the process of updating) on the Wiki that explains how to format what you write. Once you have updated a User Guide section please send it to me or one of the other maintainers for review and final addition to the Wiki. We welcome your contributions and eventually we hope to make this process easier.

Regards,
Al

rbscycle
Starter
Starter

Post by rbscycle » 25 Sep 2014 16:28

I Love Unison! And, it works! I found that it needs a file in the ".unison" directory. Here are my samples. One file for a LaCie external drive and another for my NAS4Free box. The user name used, in my case, is 'ronnie'. Hope these help...

1. For my External LaCie drive (Filename: lacie.prf):
# Unison preferences
label = All My Stuff LaCie

# on my Ubuntu Desktop
root = /home/ronnie/

# on my LaCie Drive
root = /media/ronnie/LaCie/home/ronnie/

fat = true

# ssh options
sshargs = -C

# paths to synchronize
path = Documents