*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Interface lie/error/ambiguity

Stream media from NAS4Free using iTunes/DAAP protocols.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
michael-vs-N4F
NewUser
NewUser

Interface lie/error/ambiguity

Post by michael-vs-N4F » 25 Jan 2016 00:18

On at least 10.2.0.2 - Prester (revision 2268)--and likely much before--the interface at Services | iTunes/DAAP suggests that there is a login name associated with logging in to the Administrative WebGUI for the DAAP service (once enabled, and typically found at http://192.168.1.250:3689 in an all-defaults installation of NAS4Free). There isn't any login for that interface. In other words, the text found at that point--"Password for the administrative pages. Default user name is 'admin'."--is a lie, an error, or just plain ambiguous.

In fact, when accessing the interface to the iTunes/DAAP service, on port 3689, you can leave the login name blank, and just type in the password entered there in Services | iTunes/DAAP | Password (presumably). Even more confusingly, the 'expected' login name (as suggested by the web browser I'm using to access the NAS4Free DAAP service I've set up, via port 3689) is 'webserver'. That suggestion necessarily has its origins at the NAS.

I can't be arsed to find a better, or more appropriate, place to post the facts above; I find that the entire NAS4Free information universe is an off-putting, anarchic rat's-nest... Very poor quality.
Keeping ignorance alive with misinformation and ambiguity is not uncommon;
in many fora, it's the preferred method.

Return to “iTunes/DAAP”