*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

DAAP and iOS6 (iPad2)

Stream media from NAS4Free using iTunes/DAAP protocols.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Andrew776
NewUser
NewUser

DAAP and iOS6 (iPad2)

Post by Andrew776 » 27 Oct 2012 14:20

Hi,

My home network comprises WIN7 desktop machines, NAS4Free and a couple of iOS devices (iPad 2). I have set up DAAP on NAS4Free.

iTunes on the WIN7 machines can see the music library on NAS4Free and will play nicely. Apple's iPad 'Music' app can see iTunes libraries on the WIN7 machines but not the one on NAS4Free.

Using a 'File Explorer' app on the iPad (RemoteFiles) allows the share on NAS4Free to be seen and music can be played on the app's integral music player, but this has fewer features than Apple's own 'Music' app.

Anybody have any experience of using the iPad 'Music' app with NAS4Free? Why does it work OK with WIN7 but not iOS6?

Andrew

MyHome92
NewUser
NewUser

Re: DAAP and iOS6 (iPad2)

Post by MyHome92 » 17 Nov 2012 00:23

Same Problem here...

With my PC + ITunes, i see the Freenas Musik Server in ITunes.

With my Ipad i dont see the Musik Server.

Captain Ron
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Captain Ron » 29 Nov 2012 06:28

I might be wrong about this, so don't quote me, but I think that with the latest versions of iOS, the music player is only allowed to connect / see DAAP servers that are of the latest type - IE iTunes servers running on version 7.0 and later. Apple was able to do this because they require the latest iTunes software to connect your iPhone to your PC. The DAAP server included with NAS4Free is basically a continued version of Firefly Media server. This is based off of reverse engineered work on iTunes Server from versions prior to version 7.0.

Until authentication for DAAP 7.0 is cracked, there will be no way to natively make this work.

A work around is to get SIMPLE DAAP CLIENT. It isn't great, but it works.
Breaker: NAS4Free 11.0.0.4r3330 x64-full
Intel Celeron G1850 @ 2.90GHz, Supermicro X10SLM-F
16 GB ECC RAM
Intel PCI-E GigE Card & Dual Onboard Intel GigE
16GB SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive
4 x Western Digital Red 3TB HDD (ZFS Storage/Share)
Antec Performance One P180 Silver

Andrew776
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Andrew776 » 30 Nov 2012 09:47

Good answer, thanks. That could explain it. I've trawled the web for answers and there is a post in one of the other NAS forums (Drobo or QNap I recall) stating that iOS devices just don't work with Firefly. No doubt for the same reason given in this discussion.

I decided to put iHomeserver on my always-on Windows server as an alternative. Works well, generally, with iTunes on WIN7 and iOS6 on iPad and iPhone 5.

Thanks for the suggestion about using a DAAP app on iOS devices but I'm keen to stick with iTunes clients across all my home network.

I'll stick with NAS4Free for file server / backup storage for now.

ku-gew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by ku-gew » 30 Nov 2012 11:33

A slimmed down OS X installation within a Virtualbox VM should work (even better if you use OS X server, especially if you have Apple desktops or laptops), you would share directly with iTunes.
But I'm not sure about licensing: there is no proof that installing OS X on non-Apple computers is illegal (it hasn't been challenged in court and there are different reasons to think said limitation is against the law, at least in Europe), but better not give the admins problems about it... :)
Find by yourself how!
You just need 1 GB ram for such OS X installation.
HP Microserver N40L, 8 GB ECC, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
XigmaNAS stable branch, always latest version
SMB, rsync

Return to “iTunes/DAAP”