*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Editing Fuppes device profiles

UPnP/DLNA services Fuppes & MiniDLNA.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
ChromeFoundry
Starter
Starter

Editing Fuppes device profiles

Post by ChromeFoundry » 06 Sep 2012 23:54

Is there a supported way to modify the device settings profiles to enable modify the transcoding configurations for the different devices?
How do others get multiple Televisions, PS3 and XBox to work without changing the default profile?
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but I cannot fine the location of the profiles config file anywhere.

yubs
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Editing Fuppes device profiles

Post by yubs » 21 Sep 2012 21:34

I'd like to echo this request for information on configuring Fuppes. The fuppes.cfg file is regenerated so changes don't stick.

This forum shows some information on having a custom fuppes configuration directory:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=671&hilit=fuppes+configuration

Is that the supported method of configuring Fuppes on NAS4Free?

Some good examples of fuppes.cfg files on ubuntu can be found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=597650

Google tells me there is a thread on the (old?) sourceforge FreeNAS forum titled: "How to modify fuppes configuration file ?" But the link is dead. Google has a cached version which includes this info:

Re: How to modify fuppes configuration file ?
by hugue » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 pm
Hello all,

I would like to remove the transcoding option for MKV files. For that, I need to change fuppes configuration file.

Configuration file is located in /var/etc/fuppes, but, as Danmero says in another post, it is a classical mistake to try to modify it directly:

danmero wrote: Classic "full" platform misunderstanding. FreeNAS build the configurations files on-the-fly after each reboot using the information from FreeNAS config.xml(configuration file). You can take a look at /etc/rc.d/fuppes , and/if you want to change any variable use rc.conf (WebGUI|System|Advanced|rc.conf)

Using the rc.conf could be an option if I could solve my need by changing a variable value... but this is not the case.
I need to remove several lines from the configuration file, which is "hardcoded" in /etc/rc.d/fuppes.

Why not deleting concerned lines in /etc/rc.d/fuppes then ?
Well... in order to make things simple, I'm running FreeNAS from an USB flash key.

Code: Select all
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/md0 178286 164176 14110 92% /
devfs 1 1 0 100% /dev
procfs 4 4 0 100% /proc
/dev/md1 31470 1182 27772 4% /var
/dev/da0a 71062 64450 6612 91% /cf
/dev/concat/RAIDJBODp1 1324446682 329813766 888677182 27% /mnt/Tom
/dev/mirror/RAIDSecurep1 283805274 52611382 208489472 20% /mnt/Jerry

So, if I understand things correctly :
- to modify /var/etc/fuppes.cfg, I need to modify /etc/rc.d/fuppes
- this is mounted under / (/dev/md0)
- /dev/md0 is a memory mounted file system from /cf/mfsroot.gz

What should I do ?
Thanks,
Thierry

Postby tbo69 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:39 pm
I've thought about this myself since I might need to modify the FUPPES config myself (see my post here: Here!)....
The way I thought about doing it would be to modify the file(s) and save them to your USB/Flash/HDD. Somewhere accessible via the FreeNAS server.
Then write a simple shell script to be run at startup (can be set via the WebGUI!) that will copy the new modified files into the memory mounted file system!
Your script will probably need to stop and restart the service once the new files are copied over too....
I haven't tried it yet, but this was the approach I was thinking about. ;)

Trev.

Postby hugue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm
That's exactly what I did meanwhile:

- save the "good" /etc/rc.d/fuppes.cfg file on my NAS disks
- create a script that copies this file from my NAS disk onto /etc/rc.d
- trigger this script as a PreInit script (menu System|Advanced|Command scripts)
Note: as this copy is scheduled as a PreInit action, no need to stop/start fuppes in the script. When this copy script is running, fuppes has not started yet: it is just starting afterwards (using the "good" configuration file).

So, I did it, and it worked.

But I'd rather modify the file, once for all, on my USB stick... If anybody knows how to do that ?
Thierry

Can anyone comment on how they customize the fuppes configuration?

thanks!

yatsura2k
NewUser
NewUser

Post by yatsura2k » 26 Sep 2012 09:50

With an embedded install you need to edit the config in the root filesystem, which is stored in /cf/mfsroot.gz

So, copy /cf/mfsroot.gz to a working area and unzip it

mkdir /mnt/MYDISK/working
cd /mnt/MYDISK/working
cp /cf/mfsroot.gz
gunzip mfsroot.gz
Next, you need to create a new memory device and use it to mount the copy of the root filesystem
(Note: the below uses memory device 2; use mdconfig -l to show the memory devices in use on your system
and use the next free one)

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f mfsroot -u 2
mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/md2 /mnt/tmp
You can now edit the Fuppes config file

nano /mnt/tmp/etc/rc.d/fuppes
Now unmount and deconfigure the new memory device

umount /mnt/tmp
mdconfig -d -u 2
Re-compress the root filesystem

gzip mfsroot
Write the modified root filesystem back to flash by remounting it
as read/write and copying the file
(NOTE: this assumes that your flash is device ad0; check on your system)

umount /cf
mount -o rw /dev/ad0a /cf
cp mfsroot.gz /cf
Now reboot the system to apply the changes.
Of course, if you upgrade NAS4Free you will have to do this over.....

Yatsura

demn
NewUser
NewUser

Post by demn » 10 Oct 2012 21:08

I'm obviously a noob, but I was hoping for the same, as, while my fuppes webgui page claims mkv would transcode to a different codec/container as per my edits to local and db default.cfg, transcoding was not actually occuring so far as i could tell.

I ran through the above steps outlined by yatsura2k, but on the final step i got cp: /cf/mfsgroot.gz: No space left on device.

:cry: I just want to enable transcoding for the purpose of lowering bitrate for wifi streaming, not even necessarily to mpeg2 or another codec or container.

If anyone has any ideas (minidlna doesn't seem to support transcoding without patch), please let me know!
I've failed at fuppes cfg editing, but am willing to try again with any sort of support, thank you very much in advance!

nix4win
NewUser
NewUser

Post by nix4win » 30 Dec 2012 00:48

I want to bump this and expand the Question -

If you have a newer device, like the newer ONKYO receivers, or DENON receivers, etc. You don't need to transcode FLAC but can send directly. There is no profile available that simply SENDS ALL AS IS to device... On our ONKYO TX-NR616 receiver the DLNA works great, but FLAC shows up as being received as 24kbps MP3. The sound is clearly better then 24bit mp3, so maybe instead of transcoding it's simply lying to the receiver. But the receiver can decode straight FLAC.

This is form a NAS4Free box of course.

Also - can someone describe what changes when you change the 'profile' setting in the NAS4Free /upnp service menu? Any profile shows the same settings under Fuppes:49152 /device config menu.
Thanks.

<service><serviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1</serviceType><serviceId>urn:upnp-org:serviceId:AVTransport</serviceId><controlURL>/upnp_control_2</controlURL><eventSubURL>/upnp_event_2</eventSubURL><SCPDURL>/scpd/AVTransport_1</SCPDURL></service></serviceList><presentationURL>http://localipaddrhere/</presentationURL><pnpx:X_hardwareId>VEN_1666&DEV_1200&REV_01 VEN_0033&DEV_000C&REV_01</pnpx:X_hardwareId><dlna:X_DLNADOC>DMR-1.50</dlna:X_DLNADOC><df:X_deviceCategory>Multimedia.DMR</df:X_deviceCategory><pnpx:X_compatibleId>MS_DigitalMediaDeviceClass_DMR_V001</pnpx:X_compatibleId>

mihai
NewUser
NewUser

Post by mihai » 13 Apr 2013 00:11

@demn:

I ran into the same problem with "No space left on device" and you have to do a "rm /cf/mfsgroot.gz" before "cp ..".
I also did gzip -9 mfsgroot, just to make sure I get the smallest file possible.

OrioniS
Starter
Starter

Post by OrioniS » 08 May 2013 18:28

@nix4win:

I have a similar problem with FLAC native player. My Denon can play FLAC natively and every time I am trying to play without transcoding it goes back to MP3 192kbit, with transcoding goes up to 320kbit. Quite frankly I never thought about quality of MP3, I growth up with MP3 128kbit (famous Napster beginning). Only recently after purchasing Denon 3112 and decent 7.1 system, I actually CAN hear big difference between 128kbit and 320kbit. It was nothing comparing with FLAC. I don't care what peeps will say, I DO hear difference in dynamics.

So, problem is that Fuppes always transcode FLAC into MP3. I've tried removing transcode metadata from device profile, but it will goes straight to default device (straight to MP3 192kbit), where it should natively dump FLAC over network. Next logical step (as it always converts), was to convert WITHOUT loosing quality, so WAV here we go. Unfortunately, after playing 8-10 sec on my AV showing WAV 44.1KHz, it crap out on me with server error (error 11 from Fuppes logs).

I'm trying now OpenVaultMedia with miniDLNA, but it is just not what I want (ZFS... and EXT4 sh****t on me within first 10 minutes of working with me, I had to use fcks to restore all, not mentioning disconnecting ALL HDDs apart of main HDD bug). It's running now for last 1.5 day, and I'm listening FLAC now but... It just scared me for life with those problems in the beginning. There was never a problem with my nas4free config only stupid Fuppes. I had no experience with FreeBSD whatsoever (and even now I'm not even good), but it didn't took long to learn what I need.

I'll go back to NAS4Free any time soon, but with miniDLNA installed. If I cannot upgrade it with it already there than fine, I will not upgrade for some time. 9.0.1.363 was fine for months and apart of Fuppes transcoding to MP3 the rest is great. Found that Samba on OMV is NOT faster that on NAS4Free (I have used build in NIC RT8118F), so there was no reason to migrate (but I had to try).

I'm wondering after travelling trough load of different forums, WHY on Earth you are sticking with Fuppes (OK, transcoding), where MiniDLNA does not. Problem is that not everyone plays on PS3/XBox and those are not, ale left out. Fupped do not need to transcode always, it can sent FLAC over the net... Just not for me unfortunately....

NAS4Free Team, Please... If you don't want to drop Fuppes, at least give an alternative backup like MiniDLNA or Serviio (I got this one as well running on my desktop, it's great by me, does all I what) as a additional choice. It will not be as difficult for you as IS FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT LIVE, BREATHE, EAT AND SH****T with any form of BSD systems. I never had any idea what FreeBSD was until I ended up with NAS4Free, and I do loads of things on different systems.Try to image what is like to install MiniDLNA or Serviio and maintain it via shell I'm a computer nerd by my interests, but it came to the point in life where you don't want to be bothered any more. People will install other forms of DLNA, but giving us choice you can maintain integrity of NAS4Free.

Sorry for crying out loud, but I had to. Long live NAS4Free!!!

Regards

PS. So... does any one knows how to dump FLAC over to my AV receiver WITHOUT converting to MP3 (it may convert to WAV, I don't mind... it did worked for me... for 8 secs ;-))
MB: SUPERMICRO X9SCL-F
CPU: Celeron G1610 @2.6GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR3 @ 1333 ECC
HBA: 9211-8i/IT (LSI flashed M1015)
STORAGE: RAIDZ2 (4x Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB, 2x WD RED 2TB)
LAN: 1x Mellanox-2 (10Gbit SFP+ desktop only), 2x Intel (1Gbit Ethernet, local lan)
BOOT: 32GB USB3.0 Stick
CASE: Fractal Design Node 804 Micro-ATX
POWER: Seasonic 550W

http://www.orionis-pm.co.uk/blog/

OrioniS
Starter
Starter

Post by OrioniS » 08 May 2013 18:50

Just had a thoughts: If there is some form of cooperation between Fuppes and NAS4Free teams (friend of a friend??), and knowing that Fuppes is NOT maintain for a last year, why NAS4Free Team don't want to take over Fuppes development and stay with it if they want?? Fuppes is dead, for now...
LAN: 1x Mellanox-2 (10Gbit SFP+ desktop only), 2x Intel (1Gbit Ethernet, local lan)

zoon01
Developer
Developer

Post by zoon01 » 10 May 2013 01:07

OrioniS wrote:Just had a thoughts: If there is some form of cooperation between Fuppes and NAS4Free teams (friend of a friend??), and knowing that Fuppes is NOT maintain for a last year, why NAS4Free Team don't want to take over Fuppes development and stay with it if they want?? Fuppes is dead, for now...
This is not true,

Ulrich have send new code to me some weeks ago!
currently he is still writing code and so far we have done debugging and done some fixes.

That he did not upload the code to his svn is true but soon will be done when ready!

When it's ready it will find it's way into NAS4Free
one of the fixes it contains is the higher CPU cycles Fuppes currently does need.
It will drop back to 0,00 on idle.
System specs: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 -embedded on Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and Supermicro X10SL7-F w / Bios v3.2, IPMI v.03.84 / CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz - 32GB Crucial DDR3L 1600mhz ECC 1.35v , LSI 2308 on PH20.00.07.00 IT mode, Storage: 5x Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) raidz

Development system is same system in virtualbox.

OrioniS
Starter
Starter

Post by OrioniS » 10 May 2013 21:14

zoon01:

I'm sorry for stirring the place up, but there is no info about Fuppes anywhere, even his web page is dead since 2012-04-30, so I think assumption about end of development will be correct. I'm actually glad that there will be more of it, because it worked for me as a music server (apart of STUPID transcoding FLAC to MP3: I do have flac player and I DO want to play flac files, not MP3 (even 320kbit)). As for video server I'm not fussy as my BD player can play see SMB shares and I have direct access to my files. There is a lot incompatibilities in video department through DLNA + problems with SRT files, so I prefer to use SMB access for all my video/movies, but for my AV Receiver and music I do want DLNA (I don't have to switch on BD Player, than TV, than AV Receiver... I will operate just with AVR).

Will it be possible to add something like a screen saver (S1 type) to NAS4Free? I have NAS and desktop connected to the same monitor via VGA and DVI, but it always keep switching to VGA (NAS4Free). If main screen with menu can be switch off after let say 30 min that all we have is second connection via DVI, so I don't have to keep switching back. Annoying especially when you reset desktop many times (it keep switching to NAS), so it would be nice to have it.

REgards

OrioniS
Starter
Starter

Post by OrioniS » 12 May 2013 15:28

Right, I've come to this point:

<file ext="flac">
<type>AUDIO_ITEM</type>
<mime_type>audio/x-flac</mime_type>
<transcode enabled="true">
<ext>wav</ext>
<mime_type>audio/x-wav</mime_type>
<decoder>flac</decoder>
<encoder>wav</encoder>
<samplerate>44100</samplerate>
</transcode>
</file>

on rev 636 it played around 10 sec, on rev 690 does about 2 minutes... What am I doing wrong this time?

jab
NewUser
NewUser

Post by jab » 13 Sep 2017 12:27

If your receiver is capable of handling FLAC files, you can bypass the whole transcoding business by replacing the respective part of the configuration as follows.

Note: My receiver would not recognize them using the "audio/x-flac" mime_type, so I had to change that to "audio/flac" for it to work.

In /usr/local/share/fuppes/devices/default.cfg (or the config file of your choice):

---
<file ext="flac">
<type>AUDIO_ITEM</type>
<mime_type>audio/flac</mime_type>
</file>
---

Return to “UPnP/DLNA”