*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Issues since power outage

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
VK5MTM
NewUser
NewUser

Issues since power outage

Post by VK5MTM » 29 Nov 2018 10:27

Hi guys

First of all, I have been using FREENAS/NAS4FREE/XIGMANAS for years but only at a very basic level.

So last week we had a storm which caused successive short blackouts before a long one. The power went out for about 5-10 seconds about 3-4 times in a row before it went off again and stayed off for around 15 hours.

Upon power restoration the next day my NAS (an i5 system with around 4GB of RAM and a 4TB Seagate SATA drive) would turn on but XigmaNAS would not come back up. Eventually I plugged in a monitor to be greeted with the following screen: https://imgur.com/a/KlnnffM

I am not sure what version of XigmaNAS I was running but it was only a 2-3 month old version that I was running.

Anyway, I tried a new embedded install of the latest version which worked fine, until I restored my config backup then I got the same screen upon reboot. It seemed as though as soon as that Seagate drive was introduced into the mix the NAS would start having issues.

So I ran drive through Seatools. I did a short test followed by an advanved/extended test which tool 2+ days but came up with no fault.

So tonight, I again did a fresh XigmaNAS install again but this time I thought I would configure it from scratch. All went well until I added the disk then rebooted. Once again, I am greeted with the same screen. If I disconnect the Seagate drive, it happily boots into XigmaNAS again.

I thought I would ask here before I try to format the disk and start again. I have all the important data backed up but there is quite a bit of (unimportant) media content not backed up that I’d rather not have to source again.

Any idea what could be going on?

doktornotor
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Issues since power outage

Post by doktornotor » 29 Nov 2018 16:04

Reinstall your XigmaNAS using ZFS, and restore config. Problem solved, forever. Never ever use UFS anywhere, and definitely not anywhere where blackouts happen. It's completely FUBARed.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13650

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 29 Nov 2018 20:39

+1 @ doktornotor.

P.S Here is some information that may help in case an upgrade is not possible at the moment.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

VK5MTM
NewUser
NewUser

Post by VK5MTM » 29 Nov 2018 22:58

doktornotor wrote:
29 Nov 2018 16:04
Reinstall your XigmaNAS using ZFS, and restore config.
Perhaps I don't understand this correctly but I thought ZFS needed a fair bit of RAM and storage to work properly. I read the link you provided and it talks about installing ZFS on a RAID array.

My setup is very simple only comprising of 4GB of RAM, an 8GB USB flash drive for the embedded OS and 1x 4TB drive. Or am I wrong about the system requirements for ZFA these days?

Also, I assume switching to ZFS would involve blowing away the UFS system currently on my storage drive meaning it'll be wiped, right?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 29 Nov 2018 23:35

VK5MTM wrote:
29 Nov 2018 22:58
doktornotor wrote:
29 Nov 2018 16:04
Reinstall your XigmaNAS using ZFS, and restore config.
Perhaps I don't understand this correctly but I thought ZFS needed a fair bit of RAM and storage to work properly. I read the link you provided and it talks about installing ZFS on a RAID array.

My setup is very simple only comprising of 4GB of RAM, an 8GB USB flash drive for the embedded OS and 1x 4TB drive. Or am I wrong about the system requirements for ZFA these days?

Also, I assume switching to ZFS would involve blowing away the UFS system currently on my storage drive meaning it'll be wiped, right?

ZFS is highly tunable so don't worry what you read in other forums about it, it just happens that some distros demand high amount of RAM due their bloatware causing those distros to be entirely unusable with less than 8GB of ram.

As for installing RootOnZFS, it is simply the XigmaNAS OS platform, nothing to do with the existing Data storage, between recommended installation media for Full platforms are SSD or HDD, with minimum allowed for a branded USB3.0.

Since your Data storage is already UFS and you already have a USB stick as the boot media, try for manually checking the filesystem by the previous link I've provided, if you succeed on cleaning the filesystem, please do yourself a favor and try to get an UPS before you lost all your Data stored in UFS.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

VK5MTM
NewUser
NewUser

Post by VK5MTM » 29 Nov 2018 23:44

JoseMR wrote:
29 Nov 2018 23:35

try for manually checking the filesystem by the previous link I've provided, if you succeed on cleaning the filesystem, please do yourself a favor and try to get an UPS before you lost all your Data stored in UFS.
Thank you for your help. Referencing the photo from my first post, how would I get to a point where I can type in the commands that appear in the link you provided?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 29 Nov 2018 23:50

VK5MTM wrote:
29 Nov 2018 23:44
Thank you for your help. Referencing the photo from my first post, how would I get to a point where I can type in the commands that appear in the link you provided?

Hi, after the boot stop like on your screenshot, hit Enter and type:

Code: Select all

fsck -y

On the below example the fylesystem is clean but just to show that you will see something like:

** /dev/ada0p2
** Last Mounted on /cf
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
884 files, 147274 used, 832405 free (245 frags, 104020 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)

***** FILE SYSTEM IS CLEAN *****

wen it finish just type:

reboot
and let us know if worked for you.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

VK5MTM
NewUser
NewUser

Post by VK5MTM » 30 Nov 2018 00:05

Thank you. I will try this when I get home from work tonight. Currently it is 9:35am here so I have a while to wait before I can try it. I will let you know how it goes. :)

doktornotor
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by doktornotor » 30 Nov 2018 00:14

Also note that you might need to run the fsck many times to make it detect/possibly fix the breakage. The UFS fsck tool itself is severely buggy.

VK5MTM
NewUser
NewUser

Post by VK5MTM » 30 Nov 2018 08:12

JoseMR wrote:
29 Nov 2018 23:50

and let us know if worked for you.
I ran that command several times and got the result as you had posted in your example but i am still getting the same problem with exactly the same error message. It seems like that command is only doing whatever it is meant to do to the boot/OS USB drive as it is reporting 882 files. How can I make it run on the 4TB storage drive?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 30 Nov 2018 08:39

VK5MTM wrote:
30 Nov 2018 08:12
I ran that command several times and got the result as you had posted in your example but i am still getting the same problem with exactly the same error message. It seems like that command is only doing whatever it is meant to do to the boot/OS USB drive as it is reporting 882 files. How can I make it run on the 4TB storage drive?

Hi, to run fsck on a specific filesystem use the below command, referenced from your screenshot:

fsck -y /dev/ufsid/5868ea939b8e741c
Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 30 Nov 2018 08:46

not sure why fsck do not solve your problem, but totally sure that if you format your data disk as ZFS disk and copy data to it ( from a previous backup), your problems was solved and you have a more robust system ( ZFS instead UFS system).
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

doktornotor
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by doktornotor » 30 Nov 2018 10:22

Really ZFS is the only solution going forward. As for fsck not fixing issues (even after multiple runs), seen it many times. Also have seen the fsck to completely destroy the filesystem occasionally. In not only my experience, the problem is actually a whole lot worse with journaling (SU+J) enabled. (Another suggestion to turn off the journal.) The fsck_ufs is hopelessly broken, as in segfaults, causing panics etc.

VK5MTM
NewUser
NewUser

Post by VK5MTM » 30 Nov 2018 11:45

JoseMR wrote:
30 Nov 2018 08:39
Hi, to run fsck on a specific filesystem use the below command, referenced from your screenshot:

fsck -y /dev/ufsid/5868ea939b8e741c
Thank you!!! I had to run that command twice (it actually told me to run it again after the first time) but it fixed it! You're a legend!

doktornotor
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by doktornotor » 30 Nov 2018 12:06

Good time to back up your data and do the ZFS move. ;)

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 30 Nov 2018 12:30

VK5MTM wrote:
30 Nov 2018 11:45
Thank you!!! I had to run that command twice (it actually told me to run it again after the first time) but it fixed it! You're a legend!

Glad I can help, also as doktornotor denoted, consider to backup your data and switch to ZFS while possible. :)

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”