*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Lost a Pool

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Rattling Around
NewUser
NewUser

Lost a Pool

Post by Rattling Around » 07 Mar 2019 22:58

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong section

This evening I lost my 'main' ZFS2 Pool and am a little in shock so please excuse any missing info, I'd really appreciate any help in getting it back if possible

The Pool was made up of 6 x 3TB drives and they run as normal disks using an HP Smart array 410. They've been running like that for a few years

This evening I had tried to swap some disk around by plugging another disk to the array - not for use in that Pool, however it reported as being the wrong size after I imported it on the GUI so I did not apply changes - instead I shutdown and swapped the cables back. Booted up, re imported the disks and the whole array disappeared right in front of my eyes. I have a couple of other small single disk pools remaining

None of the 6TB disks are showing up anywhere. Is it possible to re-scan a different way? Or import the Pool again

I'm running 11.2.0.4 - Omnius (revision 6195) on a Supermicro X8DAL with 16GB of ECC RAM. The missing pool is running on a battery backup P410 HP Smart array using SAS to SATA cables. Disk are WD Reds

Thanks for any help

Rattling Around
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Lost a Pool

Post by Rattling Around » 08 Mar 2019 00:56

So I plugged the harddrive back in which was reporting the wrong size and 'Lo' all the others came back I rescanned and imported

I'm not sure I like this P410 controller - it adds another level of complication especially since I cannot seem to launch the smart array software anymore

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 08 Mar 2019 01:02

Rattling Around wrote:
08 Mar 2019 00:56
So I plugged the harddrive back in which was reporting the wrong size and 'Lo' all the others came back I rescanned and imported

I'm not sure I like this P410 controller - it adds another level of complication especially since I cannot seem to launch the smart array software anymore
Please backup your data as soon as possible and let ZFS through an HBA(Host Buss Adapter) take care of your data, don't trust on any hardware locked RAID solutions even less if unsupported/obsolete for good, try learning more about ZFS whenever possible.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 » 08 Mar 2019 07:38

HP Smart array 410, need to identify disk as JOBD so write some info in the first sectors, this is incompatible with others controllers, so you can't move your disk to other motherboard, sorry.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

was-armandh
experienced User
experienced User

Post by was-armandh » 03 Apr 2019 14:11

out of the box XigmaNAS is as hardware agnostic as can be [IMHO]
adding proprietary disk arraying lessens the ability to seamlessly switch MOBO hardware.
less of a problem with more than one back-up
but not as easy as just switching the drives to another computer and having it work while awaiting parts.
as seen here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14489
by using this free advise, you, your heirs, etc
absolve, save, and hold harmless the advisor.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”