*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Convince me to switch from FreeNAS

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
edwardjamesgaff
NewUser
NewUser

Convince me to switch from FreeNAS

Post by edwardjamesgaff » 12 Jun 2019 19:46

Hello,

I currently have a dedicated mini-ITX box running FreeNAS 9.3 on bare-metal. I also have a separate server running ESXi that I'm hopefully going to transition to Proxmox in the near future. As part of this transition, I'm planning on virtualizing my NAS on the Proxmox server and freeing up my ITX box for other uses.

I'm not tied to any one NAS solution as I'll be buying new drives and coping the data over from my current NAS. I've narrowed down my decision to sticking with FreeNAS or switching to XigmaNAS. Some reasons I'm leaning toward XigmaNAS:
  1. Less emphasis on a do-it-all box. Since I have a VM server I'm no longer interested in running all kinds of jails and plugins on my NAS. I just want my NAS to be a NAS.
  2. Less bloated/resource intensive. The more resources I have for other VMs the better.
  3. Updates seem to be smoother? The reason I'm still on 9.3 with FreeNAS is that I have had enough trouble updating within 9.3 that the thought of jumping to another version gives me PTSD. I've seen stories of people jumping from old NAS4Free versions up to the latest XigmaNAS without problems. That's very encouraging.
  4. Community seems more willing to help. Most probably know the reputation the FreeNAS community has.
I'd love to hear from others who have made the switch and why. What do you like that I might not know about? Also, and I realize this might not be the best place to ask this, what don't you like as compared to FreeNAS?

netware5
experienced User
experienced User

Re: Convince me to switch from FreeNAS

Post by netware5 » 12 Jun 2019 21:54

Hi, maybe I am not the right person to answer as I never been a FreeNAS user. My story i s much more simple - I used a dedicated NAS appliance (Seagate BlackArmor) during about 7 years. Then the device HDDs reached EOL and I found how difficult is to extract my valuable data without having the right RAID controller. So I decided to switch to DIY NAS with OpenSource OS. After short study only two options remained viable - FreeNAS and Nas4Free (now XigmaNAS). Finally my choice was Nas4Free. The main reasons were exactly the 4 points you mentioned above in the following order:

1. Friendly community - no comparison between FreeNAS and XigmaNAS in favour of the last. Try to ask a simple newbie question in FreeNAS forums and will see what will happen :)
2. Simple to use, fast, less resource hungry, less bloated
3. This is just simple NAS - everything I needed, without any fancy extras.
4. Easy updates

That's all - using since January 2017 without issues. Very happy user :)
XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4 - Reticulus (rev.6881) embedded on HP Proliant Microserver Gen8, Xeon E3-1265L, 16 GB ECC, 2x4TB WD Red ZFS Mirror

edwardjamesgaff
NewUser
NewUser

Post by edwardjamesgaff » 13 Jun 2019 15:43

Thanks for the reply. Good to have someone confirm the assumptions I made during my research of XigmNAS.

Lee Sharp
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Lee Sharp » 14 Jun 2019 17:12

As a consultant I have worked with both, but I generally install Xigmanas.

1) The "commercial" aspect is way to "in your face" for me.
2) They have focused on appearance rather than function.
3) Slower releases. They are still on 11, and Xigmanas has 12 out.

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”