*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Moving files

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Buzzin
Starter
Starter

Moving files

Post by Buzzin »

Hi, is there a way to move files from one HDD to another without having to wait.

What I mean is, I want to move large volumes of data from one hdd to another inside the NAS box, so far I have been cutting and pasting using my personal pc but I want to be able to shut off my home pc and leave the NAS box to continue moving files while I sleep. It's 1.40am and I still have nearly 400GB to move. I can't go into details as to why I need to move the data, but believe me it's important that I do so

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question, but I'm a total noob so if there is a way would you please explain in baby steps.

Many thanks.

christian
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Moving files

Post by christian »

rsync would probably be my method of choice. I know this is one of the services available on your system through the web UI and you can go into the "Local" sub menu for rsync to set it up.

Alternatively, if you log in from the shell level as root, an rsync command such as the following will work:

Code: Select all

rsync -av --progress source_directory destination_directory
This will copy all files and directories recursively preserving ownership and permissions. The --progress will show you where it is at in the process.

rsync has lots of cool capabilities which may be useful to you for other reasons but hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction. There are lots of good web references for use of rsync in other ways as well.
N4F embedded: E45M1-M PRO (AMD-E450), Sil3132 eSATA, StarTech PEXSATA24E. Disks (30TB usable): onboard RAIDZ1 5x2TB Seagate; RAID10 4x2TB WD; offboard TR5M DAS Stripe 5x3TB Seagate (backup); TR4M DAS RAIDZ1 4x1TB Samsung

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

other aproach is mount both disk and use command line , usefull commands cp = copy and mv = move, search a bit to know how to use it.

PD: for windows user is more intuitive to use WinSPC to copy / Move files.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Buzzin
Starter
Starter

Post by Buzzin »

Thanks very much for helpful replies, I'll take a look at rsync first.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to apply a thanks system to the forum? it will save a lot of useless posts just saying thank you, although I resume not all users are that grateful for the help they receive!

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

good idea, perhaps Al562 know how to implement.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”