*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Reading Data from Live FreeBSD or Linux

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Shazman
NewUser
NewUser

Reading Data from Live FreeBSD or Linux

Post by Shazman »

Good day folks,

I have a Nas4free (9.1.0.1.636 x64, UFS, no raid) that is not booting due to a power failure. I am aware of the solution to boot from the live cd and execute the fsck (which I am about to try) but before that I was wondering if, like with linux or windows, when I boot from a live knoppix or ubuntu or something I can access the affected drive and copy the data off. I tried booting from a live knoppix and ubuntu but none is not even detecting the drive. Nas4free being FreeBSD based, I am thinking, that this is where the issue lies. However is it possible at all to boot from a live version of something and access the data on the Nas4free drive?? Could PC-BSD work?

Thanks very much for any assistance

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reading Data from Live FreeBSD or Linux

Post by raulfg3 »

You need nas4free livecd , boot from livecd , open a shell , And fsck your disk as is described in wiki 0001
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Shazman
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Shazman »

Well I tried that and it did not work... what I ended up doing was running the fsck_ufs /dev/usfid/id_of_drive and that worked.
But my question still remains can you access the data from booting from another OS... eg. open solaris or something?
Yes or NO..... and Yes which OS if NO why not?
Thanks again.

armandh
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by armandh »

yes and no

UFS and ZFS are file systems that are native to NAS4Free which is BSD not Linux.
there may be some utilities that run in Linux or Windows that allow use of UFS or ZFS formatted drives.
HOWEVER
in an emergency it would be much easier to utilize most any convenient hardware by booting the live CD
and with a USB stick for the configuration file you are quickly back up and running

Data from ZFS drives is easily recovered [IMHO] actually it is hard to get rid of the data
my experience
an old drive once part of a ZFS mirror when connected to a NAS4Free box showed all the data intact
I had to over write it with an EXT3 format before I could erase the partition.

as easily as any hardware can be temporarily used for NAS4Free I've no need to read the disk in another OS
just remember to safely store copies of the OS and current config [down load it often and everywhere]
by everywhere I mean several client computers.

if the temp use computer will boot from USB it could be as simple as connecting the drives and pluging in the stick
boot it and set the NIC and IP address.
shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VptUsZqR ... e=youtu.be

using any other OS to access the drive will be much more difficult than the N4F live CD
Last edited by armandh on 20 May 2013 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
4 thread 3300 Mhz Intel i3, 1 TB ZFS mirror, available RAM 7.823 Gb, 64 bit NAS4Free 9.1.0.1 rev 573 [88 watts, 48 Mbps]
2 thread 1600 Mhz atom/ion, 1 TB ZFS mirror, available RAM 3.083 Gb, 64 bit NAS4Free-9.1.0.1 rev 573 [27 watts, 35 Mbps]
2 thread 3900 Mhz AMD A6-6400K, 2 TB ZFS Mirror, available RAM 7.557 Gb, 64 bit Nas4Free 9.3.0.2.1771 [89 watts, 68 Mbps]

Shazman
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Shazman »

Thanks very much for your incite. I guess I just need some more experience/understanding with regard to the recovery options. Thanks again for your assistance.
Would still like to know which OS can read the data easily.

Lee Sharp
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Lee Sharp »

It depends on how you formatted it...

UFS is the Unix File System. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_File_System It has native support under Unix, and not Linux, so that means FreeBSD, OpenBSD, SysV, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, and a few others. It can be read under Linux, but it ain't easy, and forget a LiveCD. http://ghantoos.org/2009/04/04/mounting ... der-linux/

ZFS is mostly a Solaris thing, but is well supported in FreeBSD and OpenBSD. It is not in the Linux kernel due to licensing incompatibility. But it can be accessed with FUSE. Again, not simple.

So, as stated, the easiest way is to use the nas4free live cd. You could also use the Freesbie or another FreeBSD live cd, but you need to make sure it has a current ZFS on it. http://www.livebsd.com/ A Solaris LiveCD will also work. Or a highly tweaked Ubuntu install on a thumb drive...

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”