*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

FreeNAS Legacy builds

General information about XigmaNAS
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
stangri
Starter
Starter

FreeNAS Legacy builds

Post by stangri »

Well, now that the "Legacy" FreeNAS wiki points to the Nas4Free wiki, I could find no better place to ask but here -- what has happened to all the legacy FreeNAS (7.x) builds on the sourceforge?

Has anyone made a backup? Considering Nas4Free is the successor of the FreeNAS legacy any chance they could be posted for download under the Nas4Free project?

PS. I know I can still download Daisuke's builds from his web-site but the latest of them were based on FreeBSD9 and would be great to have FreeBSD7-builds also.

thanks!

Onichan
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: FreeNAS Legacy builds

Post by Onichan »

Why do you want the older versions?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

Deleted by IXSystem, sorry.

FreeNas sourceforge account owner is IXSystem last 2 years, and because they do not support FreeNas 7 Legacy, delete annoining files, was logically for they.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

stangri
Starter
Starter

Post by stangri »

That's weird, because they say that for *all* FreeNAS 7-related questions we should go to NAS4Free. Even the FreeNAS legacy wiki now sends to the NAS4Free.

Has anyone made a backup?

Is it legally OK to make the original FreeNAS 7 compiled binaries available from the NAS4Free servers?

Are the FreeNAS 7 sources still available from sourceforge?
If they aren't, isn't IXSystem legally obligated to make them available under the FreeBSD license?

I think having at least the FreeBSD7-based FreeNAS 7.x final build available would be great. I personally wanted to experiment with stability on the spare machine. Others might want to be able to download it so they could replace the embedded image on the aging/faulty boot-up media or something.

zoon01
Developer
Developer

Post by zoon01 »

Hi,

We are not allowed to upload or compile new builds with ix brandname FreeNAS.
If this was the case we never did have to change our origine FreeNAS name into NAS4Free in the first place.

IX was clear about all, they demand us to stop releasing newerbuilds containing their name.
After we moved to new domain and new Brandname NAS4Free it took way to long before IX did allow to point
to our name and locations.
Many steps and conversations where needed to give you all what you can get now.
Also our agreement with Olivier the founder of freenas was that we could take the 0.7.5 source with us
as we did all the work for it.

The 0.7.5 source code belongs to us and not to IX. the 0.7 and lower code belongs Olivier and not to us!
We can not legally make (also it make no sence) compile and release any builds of 0.7 and lower.

IX does work hard on their own software and will very logical promote their own product over the original freenas 0.7.5 and lower code.
We all have to accept this if we like it or not!
FreeNAS 7 is no more!

NAS4Free contenues where we did stop on FreeNAS 0.7.5
We also should be happy that finally IX point to our project and no longer tries to kill it nor try to ignore us.
Now everybody easy can take what they like with the peace back on forums and the whole community.

But remember!
If i did not arange all this, you could stick to the latest installed versions of freenas 0.7 and will never be able
to get someting updated as NAS4Free, the project should has died hard as i did ask in the old FreeNAS forum!

I hope nobody will ever ask in public here for those builds.
We are simply not allowed.

Regards,
zoon01
System specs: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 -embedded on Samsung 860 EVO 256GB and Supermicro X10SL7-F w / Bios v3.2, IPMI v.03.86 / CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz - 32GB Crucial DDR3L 1600mhz ECC 1.35v , LSI 2308 on PH20.00.07.00 IT mode, Storage: 5x Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) raidz

Development system is same system in virtualbox.

Return to “GENERAL INFORMATION”