Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Power outage, UPS didn't trigger shutdown

Uninterruptable Power Supply service using NUT.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
UES
Starter
Starter

Power outage, UPS didn't trigger shutdown

Post by UES » 26 Sep 2016 18:05

Today I experienced the worst case scenario. We had an unexpected power failure at home and the UPS did not initiate a Shutdown.

Facts:
APC Back-UPS XS 950U
Nas4free 10.3.0.3 - Pilingitam (revision 2964)
Shutdown mode: UPS goes on battery
Shutdown timer: 180

But nothing happened. I remember, when I installed my UPS, I tried it and the automated shutdown worked as expected. But not today. So it might be a software glitch introduced by some update done in the meantime?!

What I also think is that the following values in the Diagnostics|Information|UPS page look strange:
Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command: 20 seconds
Time before the load will be shutdown: -1 seconds

Could someone please check what is listed on his server? Is this, especially the -1, normal?

And advise is welcome. What else could I check?

Thanks
UES

provels
experienced User
experienced User

Re: Power outage, UPS didn't trigger shutdown

Post by provels » 27 Sep 2016 23:54

Mine says the same whether I have it set to shutdown timed or low battery, 20 and -1. -1 might mean no delay (WAG). Last time I tested it (and I have mine normally set for "low battery") it worked fine, but that was also several versions back, maybe 9.x.x.x something.
Peder
XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 (6766) Embedded / MiniDLNA and CIFS/SMB only
HP ProLiant DL320 G3 / P4 660 3.6GHz HT / 4GB ECC / 2 x 3TB WD Red, ZFS Mirror / APC Back-UPS BR 800

UES
Starter
Starter

Post by UES » 28 Sep 2016 18:01

Thank you for sharing this information. Next weekend I will try different settings and check what happens.

UES
Starter
Starter

Post by UES » 02 Oct 2016 17:29

OK, I checked it today by simply unplugging the UPS from its power source. And: No problems at all, the NAS went down after the defined time-out. So, I will never know why this did not work when I had the real power outage last week.

fusion327
NewUser
NewUser

Post by fusion327 » 19 Dec 2016 01:35

I had the exact same issue.

The status of the UPS was being logged to ups.log, but when the UPS is put into battery state, the system would not shutdown. The last known time that it worked was prior to an system update of NAS4Free.

I resolved the issue by changing the 'Shutdown mode' and 'Shutdown timer' to another value, hitting Save and Restart. Then change the values back to the original values 'Shutdown mode: UPS Goes on Battery' and 'Shutdown timer; 15s' and hitting Save and Restart again. The UPS settings would then work correctly.

I am putting a guess out there that the system upgrade somehow didnt work with the pre existing conf file and that a new conf was required, hence the changing of the value worked.
N4F 10.3.0.3 - Pilingitam (revision 3065) on Intel S1200KP | Intel G2120 @ 3.10GHz | 16GB of ECC RAM | 6x3TB WD Red in RaidZ2

UES
Starter
Starter

Post by UES » 19 Dec 2016 09:32

Exactly my impression/my thoughts. I did the following to verify my assumptions:

Update of NAS4Free.
Unplug mains.
Not automatic shutdown. :-(

Manual restart of NAS4Free after update.
Unplug mains.
Automatic shutdown works. :-)

From this point in time on I always ensure that I have at least rebooted my system once after any upgrade.

Return to “UPS”