*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Extended UPS Runtime Mod

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Extended UPS Runtime Mod

Post by JoseMR » 03 Jun 2016 18:55

Today I decided to do something useful and recycled an old UPS that was collecting dust on my nearly forgotten parts/stuff bin, an APC Back-UPS ES 750 to replace a current failing one. :)

This is a modification I normally do to all my consumer grade UPS.

Used a pair of 50A binding post terminals commonly found in power inverters/DC power supplies, and a pair of SMH 50 amp connectors, in order to use a cheap ~$20 USD U1R 230CCA lawn battery, but not limited to, an U1R sized AGM battery will be optimal for a few more bucks, also the base of the battery can be an empty DVD case. :lol:

Pros:
  • Cheap battery replacement alternative.
    Extended UPS runtime.
    Easy battery hotswap/maintenance.
    Can operate with internal or external battery.
Cons:
  • Slow battery charge time in some small units.
    Possible charging circuit overheating on small units.
    Additional space used by outboard battery.
Note: I've used a very short 12 AWG mil-spec silver plated teflon insulated wire, since the black lead can't reach the binding post terminal, otherwise a standard #10 AWG should be used.

Regards
Last edited by JoseMR on 04 Jun 2016 02:07, edited 2 times in total.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

kenZ71
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Extended UPS Runtime Mod

Post by kenZ71 » 04 Jun 2016 01:14

Cool! Not to rain on your parade sometimes the ups is matched to the original battery such that running from a larger battery can damage the Inverter.
11.2-RELEASE-p3 | ZFS Mirror - 2 x 8TB WD Red | 28GB ECC Ram
HP ML10v2 x64-embedded on Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz

Extra memory so I can host a couple VMs
1) Unifi Controller on Ubuntu
2) Librenms on Ubuntu

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Extended UPS Runtime Mod

Post by JoseMR » 04 Jun 2016 01:45

kenZ71 wrote:Cool! Not to rain on your parade sometimes the ups is matched to the original battery such that running from a larger battery can damage the Inverter.
Hello KenZ71 right, that's why I denoted the "U1R" battery size, though I has been doing this for many years now, and I can confirm that any moderate sized 12V battery, usually an "U1R" should not damage the inverter under any circumstance, unless you overload the inverter in which case the overload circuit protection should be triggered.

The notorious affected circuit part is the charger, if the battery is large enough for the charger circuit, and I've tested this mod on many 700VA+ APC UPS's and 1000VA+ Tripp Lite UPS's, and their charger circuit can charge many U1R sized AGM's without problems, and maintain a float voltage of about ~13.6v.

P.S: I've added some internal connection view for reference.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Do It Yourself Projects”