Latest News:
*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6766 - released!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-06-20: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6766 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Pyramid SEA-2500X Preamp voltage output mod

Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Pyramid SEA-2500X Preamp voltage output mod

Post by JoseMR » 21 Sep 2016 01:32

Hello, I've purchased a cheap Pyramid SEA-2500X audio preamplifier based on the Amazon reviews until I can afford an Stereophile grade one such as Parasound Halo P5, the default specifications claim that this preamp have a input sensitivity of 150mV(line level) and a output of 500mV(0.5 Volts) which is absolutely too low for any studio/pro audio preamp, also during my test this preamp even attenuated the audio signal of my tuner, though I bough it to actually play with and modify it, since the modification changes where very simple than I expected, yet extremely notorious and without sound quality sacrifice, I decided to post a short how-to to make this preamp to actually work, after this simple modification this preamp will be able to drive your Hi-Fi stereo amplifier without turning the volume knob to high to reach desired output levels, thus reducing distortion and clipping.

Internal preamplifier view:

Now the simple mod:
100_6647-Mod.jpg
Change the R43 and R44 47K ohm resistors with 1K ohm resistors and voila, enjoy the new higher output preamp voltage(2~3 volts approx).

Note: This mod are intended for electronics experienced users, please don't try this by yourself if you don't have basic experience with electronics/electrics.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JoseMR on 07 Jul 2018 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Jack Foobar
experienced User
experienced User

Re: Pyramid SEA-2500X Preamp voltage output mod

Post by Jack Foobar » 28 Sep 2016 04:03

That looks like a board design from the 1980's. I think I had a kit to make that exact board when I was a teenager.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Pyramid SEA-2500X Preamp voltage output mod

Post by JoseMR » 28 Sep 2016 05:09

Hi Jack Foobar, that's right, this cheap preamplifiers are based on a very simple circuit design actually, though there are several designs around the net, yet very similar to this low cost units Gemini, Pyramid/Pyle, however all this budget brands are similar.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Do It Yourself Projects”