*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Embedded Custom Partition Size TEST Files

Only Admin's or Moderators can move thread's to this sub-forum.
Nobody should start a new thread on this sub-forum.
Anybody can reply to a thread on this sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Embedded Custom Partition Size TEST Files

Post by JoseMR » 24 Jun 2018 04:48

RE-POST, for XigmaNAS

Hello all, XigmaNAS has been recently incorporating new features such as the notorious MariaDB base integration, this changes has forced the dev team to again adjust/resize the Embedded images for the memory disks in order to hold the newly added content, since this memory disk size is bigger than the current "ROOT" partition, all Embedded users will be forced to re-install XigmaNAS unfortunately. :roll:

However in the NAS4Free days, I've come with an idea in which has been disregarded since, I've implemented an user-frienly dialog option in which the user can specify/override the recommended "ROOT" partition on all Embedded platforms for further proof and convenience. 8-)

Also I will post a short how-to video showing how I installed XigmaNAS Embedded Platform into an whopping 8GB partition size as easy as 1.2.3. :mrgreen:

Small HOW-TO Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MkMqK3 ... L7rau/view

Source Files:JoseMRPubServ, Already added to base.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

WTB VPN Jail
Starter
Starter

Re: Embedded Custom Partition Size

Post by WTB VPN Jail » 01 Aug 2018 04:40

JoseMR wrote:
24 Jun 2018 04:48
If you feel this can be useful, ask for request. ;)
I definitely think this is useful. It's getting hard to find flash drives / SD cards with a capacity of 1-4Gib. Soon scrounging around at the back of the desk drawer will produce no such drives! Everyone will be installing on storage far in excess of the embedded footprint, and will be reluctant to waste the remaining capacity of the boot device. As you say, padding the destination partition out to 4Gib means upgrades won't need the whole device reinitialised to accommodate the upgrade's footprint, followed by recreating the data partition and resilvering. It will just use up more of the reserved 4Gib.

Sounds to me like this will save time and improve reliability.

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney » 22 Aug 2018 15:26

I have my embedded (latest version) installed on a 2GB flash drive. However, I suspect that it is starting to fail, and want to switch to a new 8GB flash.

If I install a new embedded version from a LiveCD, I was under the impression that I can simply select "1) Install 'embedded' OS on HDD/Flash/USB", and that will dedicate the entire drive to the system. Is that not the case?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 24 Sep 2018 06:46

Re-posted for XigmaNAS Embedded.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney » 25 Sep 2018 02:41

I install my embedded as MBR w/ no swap or data partitions. The option to resize the OS partition doesn't appear, which seems odd given that the disk is devoted solely to the OS, so why have its size restricted?

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 25 Sep 2018 08:34

jamaroney wrote:
25 Sep 2018 02:41
I install my embedded as MBR w/ no swap or data partitions. The option to resize the OS partition doesn't appear, which seems odd given that the disk is devoted solely to the OS, so why have its size restricted?

Hello, I've installed MBR Embedded w/o SWAP/DATA to an 8GB partition on my 32GB test USB disk, your need to overwrite "rc.initial.install1" after booting LiveMedia, either by SSH or by WebGUI "Tools Execute Command", the later require you to move the file to /etc, in that case, after "Upload Script" the command is as follow:

Code: Select all

chmod +x /tmp/rc.initial.install1 && mv -v /tmp/rc.initial.install1 /etc
The sample output:

Code: Select all

$ chmod +x /tmp/rc.initial.install1 && mv -v /tmp/rc.initial.install1 /etc
/tmp/rc.initial.install1 -> /etc/rc.initial.install1
Between you can overwrite all the sources to /etc with SSH as well, as this is a one time procedure.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney » 05 Oct 2018 20:47

I am very confused.

First, the video link shows a version 6060, which has not yet been released.

Above you say to:
"overwrite "rc.initial.install1" after booting LiveMedia, either by SSH or by WebGUI "Tools Execute Command", the later require you to move the file to /etc"

I tried this, but rc.initial.install1 is not in /tmp, but already in /etc. And I don't know what I'm supposed to do afterward.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 07 Oct 2018 13:47

jamaroney wrote:
05 Oct 2018 20:47
I am very confused.

First, the video link shows a version 6060, which has not yet been released.

Above you say to:
"overwrite "rc.initial.install1" after booting LiveMedia, either by SSH or by WebGUI "Tools Execute Command", the later require you to move the file to /etc"

I tried this, but rc.initial.install1 is not in /tmp, but already in /etc. And I don't know what I'm supposed to do afterward.

Hi, this is a fast code preview/test for advanced users, also a workaround for users wanting to increase their Embedded root partition in new installs until this became officially adapted/integrated into base, or without to have to build/compile XigmaNAS.

Between, after booting any LiveMedeia, setting SSH and use WinSCP or equivalent is the easiest way to open /etc and overwrite the files there.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Embedded Custom Partition Size TEST Files

Post by jamaroney » 07 Oct 2018 20:53

My bad - I didn't see the zip file that had the file replacements. I successfully re-sized the OS partition on my OS-dedicated 8GB flash drive. Thanks!

Why this option isn't standard on all new releases is beyond me.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Embedded Custom Partition Size TEST Files

Post by JoseMR » 08 Oct 2018 23:26

Hi, part of this has been already adapted to base and will be available for the next releases, so intermediate to advanced users will have more control over the Embedded installations, otherwise standard users can just accept the defaults as usual.

Regards
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “[HowTo]”