*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Boot Environments Support at Boot-time (Completed)

Post/Debate your Suggestions & Requests of XigmaNAS here. This ONLY pertains to XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Boot Environments Support at Boot-time (Completed)

Post by JoseMR » 29 Mar 2018 10:41

Hi NAS4Free Full users, Native Boot Environments support at boot-time is fully working as expected in my tests(RootOnZFS only), though it needs a fully featured menu boot module "menu.4th" with others tiny dependencies, I will do more testing and try my best to finish this as soon as possible since is a must have for Full root on zfs installs. 8-)

Feature added as for commit: 5370

Sample Boot Loader Menu:
New_Menu_Plain.png
Sample Boot Loader BE Selection Menu:
New_Menu_Plain_2.png
I will try to make a small video on how to roll back from a damaged/nuked RootOnZFS installs soon. 8-)
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Boot Environments Support at Boot-time (Completed)

Post by JoseMR » 01 Apr 2018 09:45

Hello, I just want to inform to all NAS4Free RootOnZFS advanced users, that this new boot loader supporting Boot Environments at boot time is a "one-time" install process from live media, meaning that a reinstall(recommended) is required, however I don't want existing RootOnZFS users with existing/complex customizations to perform a reinstall, so I created a tiny script to enable this awaited and critical feature within the WebGUI for convenience. ;)

Source:
bemenu.tgz
Go to "Tools > Execute Command" >> Browse for the bemenu.tgz and click on "Upload Script" then follow below instructions:
Execute command (copy and paste):

Code: Select all

cd /tmp && tar -xf bemenu.tgz && ./bemenu.sh
Output sample:

Code: Select all

$ cd /tmp && tar -xf bemenu.tgz && ./bemenu.sh
bemenu_support/boot/beastie.4th -> /boot/beastie.4th
bemenu_support/boot/loader.rc -> /boot/loader.rc
bemenu_support/boot/menu.rc -> /boot/menu.rc
bemenu_support/boot/menusets.4th -> /boot/menusets.4th
bemenu_support/etc/rc.firmware -> /etc/rc.firmware
bemenu_support/etc/install/zfsinstall.sh -> /etc/install/zfsinstall.sh
bemenu_support/etc/install/include/boot/menu.4th -> /etc/install/include/boot/menu.4th
bemenu_support/etc/install/include/boot/menu.4th -> /boot/menu.4th
=> Success!
Also here is a small video on how I roll-back and booted from a nuked/unbootable system:
NAS4Free Full RootOnZFS, How-To Rollback a Failed Trashed Upgrade or Running System

Notice: Bear in mind that rollback to an older boot environment before this process, will revert the changes, however if the user keep deleting older Boot Environments upon new upgrades and just keep like 3~4 like I do, this will disappears over time.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Suggestions & Requests”