*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Can developers consider integrating QBittorrent to give users more choices?

Post/Debate your Suggestions & Requests of XigmaNAS here. This ONLY pertains to XigmaNAS.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
experienced User
experienced User

Can developers consider integrating QBittorrent to give users more choices?

Post by 744700595 » 11 May 2018 10:25

Can developers consider integrating qBittorrent to give users more choices?
I've been using N4F for the past year and I feel very good. Thank you very much for the effort of the development team
But I am not very satisfied with the integrated BitTorrent program. I tried qBittorrent on Windows recently, and I feel very good.
The operation, function and interface of qBittorrent are similar to those of UT, but they are more powerful. Most importantly, qBittorrent is also an open source software without worrying about safety and advertising.
QBittorrent comes with HTTPS function, and Transmission can be implemented through lighttpd proxy.
QBittorrent has its own seed download to complete the mail notification function. Transmission needs to be implemented through third party scripts. The online script that is suitable for N4F can not be found on the Internet. And the N4F team did not develop this feature
QBittorrent's own WEBGUI is perfect and multi lingual support. It can be managed remotely without third party software. The WEBGUI of Transmission comes to anyone who knows, ugly and hard to use. No one is going to use it. And developers haven't updated them for so many years. The users I touch are managed by third party software.
QBittorrent has its own RSS function, and Transmission needs to be implemented through the third party approach. And developers never intend to add RSS functionality. It is difficult for ordinary users to add RSS functionality
Overall, qBittorrent is much more perfect than Transmission. I hope the N4F team will think about it and integrate it later, so that users can have more choices. And does DLNA not integrate two sets of programs?
Finally, the better the N4F is doing the better.
Favorite to kill the red devil
FreeBSD users from China. English is limited and posted using Google Translate. If the expression is not clear, please forgive me!

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Can developers consider integrating QBittorrent to give users more choices?

Post by jamaroney » 11 May 2018 14:07

A pkg install of qbittorrent is available - have you tried that?

experienced User
experienced User

Post by 744700595 » 12 May 2018 02:53

jamaroney wrote:
11 May 2018 14:07
I certainly know that I can manually pkg install myself. I don't know if you installed qbittorrent manually. Users manually install qbittorrent also need to install a large number of dependent packages. These packages are not maintained by the N4F team. There may be problems with the upgrade later. N4F as a finished NAS operating system, do you want users to SSH to the background every time to perform a lot of commands to complete the maintenance? How can such a difficult process increase the user base? I'm not as good as using the completed FreeBSD system directly. Like what directly to the ports inside make install clean

My idea is to give users one more choice. Users who like to use qbittorrent, just open N4F WEBGUI points, enter some path data, etc., you can run. It is as simple as opening a service in WEBGUI. Instead of the user drilling into the background to enter the command.

As far as I have come into contact with users who use qbittorrent, the connectivity is better than Transmission. In particular, many networks do not have public IP addresses.

As an old FreeBSD user for so many years, I hope N4F will become more and more useful. Please ask the development team
FreeBSD users from China. English is limited and posted using Google Translate. If the expression is not clear, please forgive me!

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney » 13 May 2018 13:18

I have a number of packages installed on my N4F, many requiring a large number of dependent packages - all were easy to install and execute, and all have run fine w/ no maintenance other than running the occasional SSH command "pkg upgrade." There's no reason to believe that an install of qbittorrent would be any different.

The N4F developers have done a great job in compiling a system that has a good number of essential programs that satisfies the needs of most users. To incorporate more choices means a larger install w/ the potential for more problems, and one of the primary intents of N4F developers is to keep things effective yet simple.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 15 May 2018 02:18

jamaroney wrote:
11 May 2018 14:07

Juts to add, consider RootOnZFS for further pkg additions and NAS4Free system wide changes, just "create/activate/reboot" in a new boot environment and perform changes as you like, repeat as you like.

You can later rollback to previous intact environment if you don't like the changes with a single reboot.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

experienced User
experienced User

Post by 744700595 » 15 May 2018 13:23

jamaroney wrote:
13 May 2018 13:18
I have a number of packages installed on my N4F, many requiring a large number of dependent packages - all were easy to install and execute, and all have run fine w/ no maintenance other than running the occasional SSH command "pkg upgrade." There's no reason to believe that an install of qbittorrent would be any different.

The N4F developers have done a great job in compiling a system that has a good number of essential programs that satisfies the needs of most users. To incorporate more choices means a larger install w/ the potential for more problems, and one of the primary intents of N4F developers is to keep things effective yet simple.
I think your idea is the idea of a technician. All the technical problems can be dealt with.
I'm the idea of a common user. The operating system is installed and can be used in GUI.
So we have a gap. I guess you should be very young

jamaroney
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jamaroney » 15 May 2018 15:25

744700595 wrote:
15 May 2018 13:23
I think your idea is the idea of a technician. All the technical problems can be dealt with.
I'm the idea of a common user. The operating system is installed and can be used in GUI.
So we have a gap. I guess you should be very young
Actually, I'm 62, and my knowledge of computing issues is quite low-level compared to many posters on this forum.

If the simple actions I suggested are "technical" to you, then perhaps you should consider other systems.

Return to “Suggestions & Requests”