*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7509 - released

*New 11.3 series Release:
2020-04-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7509 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Easy way to copy die entire ZFS Pool to backup HDD

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Easy way to copy die entire ZFS Pool to backup HDD

Post by gomario »

Hello everyone. I want copy my entire 5x4TB disc ZFS-1 Pool to a backup disc (4TB). The data consists of important family video and fotos, which I took over a period of 27 years. There are about 48.000 fotos and 8500 video clips, divided in around 11500 folders (according to the date). The total amount of data is just over 2.2TB.
Now, I have plugged-in and mounted the new 4TB USB disc (portable) and opened the menu via GUI. It is fairly easy to use the <copy> function. It does work but it only copies a few Gigabyte of data at the time. Probably because my system only has 6GB RAM. Is there a easy way to copy the entire pool, using one command, from the ZFS server to the above mentioned 4TB USB HD? The 4TB USB disc is brand new, NTSF formated and thouroughly checked for errors.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Easy way to copy die entire ZFS Pool to backup HDD

Post by raulfg3 »

use Rsync
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario »

Thank you Raul for the quick reply. Indeed Rsync seems to work 100%. Mind you, it is still busy with the files copy...
Tell me, would Rsync work over my 1Gbit LAN too or must the HDD be plugged directly in the USB port on the server? I use a fairly advanced TP-Link router. The router does other things too. It has a dual core CPU with 2 GB RAM. The ZFS-Server is LAN connected directly to the router and the HDD is mounted on the router thru one of the router's USB 3.0 ports.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

RSYNC is the best option for copy files on the same machine, but I prefer FreeFileSync to do the same on SMB ( I sync my Video folder on my desktop PC (win10 & NTFS Disk) to my Video folder on my NAS (ZFS Pool)).

do not worry about speed, importand here is 1:1 copy
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

gomario
experienced User
experienced User

Post by gomario »

Thank you but will it be able to sync folders between two networked devices? Otherwise, I can temporarely plug the USB HDD in my Windows PC and sync the way you did.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

yes, but for your first post one folder is in your local NAS and the destination is available by SMB, so yes , you can do it.

Wiki
Last changes

Return to “Newbie Questions”