*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Running Java Scripts from my NAS

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
ligmaNAS
NewUser
NewUser

Running Java Scripts from my NAS

Post by ligmaNAS » 25 Jul 2019 16:52

I'll apologize in advance if I've placed this thread in the wrong topic (it may well be placed in the development topic, but it's pretty general).

In short: I have a NAS built, and I'm going to be throwing Xigmanas on it. As a hobby, I like to compile and archive data, and to that end, I have written some Java scripts that scrape websites and pull the data into my computer. Now that I have a NAS, I'd like to have it run my scripts over long periods of time, and save the data on the NAS' drives- like a little worker in the corner of my room.

Question 1: Does anyone have experience with running Java scripts off of a NAS running Xigma? I know I can SSH into the NAS and do traditional *nix stuff there, so I assume that it is a possibility; I write the code so it's perfectly able to be compiled from the command line (at least in Windows, which is my daily OS). I am unsure if I'll need to set up path variables for Java and the like, or if I would be better off compiling the code as a .jar and executing it like a runnable.

Question 2: I suppose that, beyond the Java question: is it a security issue to run web-scraping scripts from my NAS? I've done this for many websites on my desktop- should I be more concerned for my NAS? I'd like to keep it air-gapped from the web, and only CIFS/SMB on my LAN. I only scrape trustworthy sites, but I still have to make an HTTP/S request to get the HTML page(s).

I could just keep running the scripts from my desktop and then transfer the files to the NAS afterward... But I want to leave my NAS on for, possibly, days at a time whilst running the scripts(s).

Any comments appreciated.

Maurizio
Starter
Starter

Re: Running Java Scripts from my NAS

Post by Maurizio » 28 Jul 2019 22:26

I am successfully running Tomcat 9 in a jail on my server, I build and debug the war in Windows with the NetBeans IDE then deploy it in the jail on XigmaNAS.
If you prefer a simpler solution you can look at Node.js, but I haven't used it.

A jail is a safe environment, separate from the rest of the system. The perfect place for running your scripts. ;)
XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 on Dell R710 144GB RAM - RootOnZFS zroot on 2x 64GB 15k HDDs in mirror, zdata on 3x 1TB SSD in RAIDZ1.
2x XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4 - RootOnZFS on HPE Proliant Microserver gen10 X3216 - 3x 4TB WD RED. In mirror with zrep.

Return to “Newbie Questions”