*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Unable to boot - No such file or directory

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Re: Unable to boot - No such file or directory

Post by JoseMR » 17 Sep 2019 15:17

Elmojo wrote:
17 Sep 2019 14:43
Oh man, JoseMR, you are a genius! I never even thought of having to select slice 4 manually!
However, I'm still so close, yet so far! See the screenshot... still errors! Bad stick maybe, or did I do something wrong?

Hi, the USB is getting flakier unfortunately, or XigmaNAS isn't cooperating in mounting the drive, please provide the information form the below command to re-check the slices on that USB.

Code: Select all

gpart show da1

Alternatively, did this stick still boots and drop into /bin/sh like before? if so please post the output from the below commands:
Again to check the disk slices

gpart show da1
To check if the data we want is populated under /data

ls /data
Where "da1" is the old USB in question.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Elmojo
Starter
Starter

Post by Elmojo » 17 Sep 2019 21:33

To everyone who posted ion this thread (JoseMR in particular):
Thanks so much for all your help. I was able to do as you suggested, and determined that there was nothing in the /data folder on the original USB stick. It appears that it was truly borked.
At that point, I just fresh-installed FreeNAS 9.3, which was the newest version I had on hand that would work with the hardware in place, and set up everything from scratch. It was a real hassle to configure users, permissions and such (since I don't know the system) and I wasn't able to import the pool, since I only had a single drive. I ended up clearing the drive and having the client restore everything from their backups. Not ideal, but at least they're back up and running.
I never could have done this without the help of this community, and JoseMR specifically! It's all the more amazing to me, since this isn't even your software! :D
Interestingly, I still haven't received a reply to my latest post on the iX forums.
This experience has inclined me to think about switching my Windows server at home over to a XigmaNAS-based system, when it comes time to replace it. Thanks again to those who commented and held my hand through this ordeal. I'm sure many of you could have solved this issue in 20 minutes flat, and maybe even preserved the original data, but coming from zero FreeBSD knowledge, I feel happy to have accomplished this much, with your (considerable) help.

JoseMR
Hardware & Software Guru
Hardware & Software Guru

Post by JoseMR » 17 Sep 2019 23:11

Elmojo wrote:
17 Sep 2019 21:33
To everyone who posted ion this thread (JoseMR in particular):
Thanks so much for all your help. I was able to do as you suggested, and determined that there was nothing in the /data folder on the original USB stick. It appears that it was truly borked.
At that point, I just fresh-installed FreeNAS 9.3, which was the newest version I had on hand that would work with the hardware in place, and set up everything from scratch. It was a real hassle to configure users, permissions and such (since I don't know the system) and I wasn't able to import the pool, since I only had a single drive. I ended up clearing the drive and having the client restore everything from their backups. Not ideal, but at least they're back up and running.
I never could have done this without the help of this community, and JoseMR specifically! It's all the more amazing to me, since this isn't even your software! :D
Interestingly, I still haven't received a reply to my latest post on the iX forums.
This experience has inclined me to think about switching my Windows server at home over to a XigmaNAS-based system, when it comes time to replace it. Thanks again to those who commented and held my hand through this ordeal. I'm sure many of you could have solved this issue in 20 minutes flat, and maybe even preserved the original data, but coming from zero FreeBSD knowledge, I feel happy to have accomplished this much, with your (considerable) help.

Hi, glad to hear that you managed to get some advancement in the new setup, also definitely some kind user at iX will give you a hand on how to configure it. :)

As for the "there was nothing in the /data folder", remember that the slice #4 is mounted in "/data" folder by default in a FreeNAS running system, hence the files populated there, but to recover it you need to try and mount to an alternate location, but I agree that corrupted USB need some tricky work and patience to recover those files, so you will definitely be up and running starting from scratch if you can get a hand from iX to setup it properly.

Regards
System: FreeBSD 12 RootOnZFS, MB: Supermicro X8SI6-F, Xeon X3450, 16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMs.
Addons at GitHub
JoseMRPubServ
Boot Environments Intro

Return to “Newbie Questions”