*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Making sure Xigmanas is right for me

If you are new on this forum and you don't know where to post please use this sub-forum. Somebody will answer your question and/or will move your topic into the right sub-forum.
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
XigOm
NewUser
NewUser

Making sure Xigmanas is right for me

Post by XigOm » 18 Sep 2019 16:55

Hi all. This is my first post so please forgive any mistakes.

I'm looking to enhance my productivity and I would like to have the following scenario.
Right now I walk around with my laptop from home to my office and have all my files etc there. I want to no longer have a laptop and maybe have a tablet instead (preferable Android because it's cheap). Ideally, not even walk with a tablet.
At home and work I want to have my files (documents etc) and a few Virtual box images synced to each other (syncthing preferably). I'll have a desktop at each locations to work with (basic desktop), connected to a printer
I want to also be able to have me and my wife's phone (android) save everything to a NAS (replacing Google), and sync those as well (for offsite type backup).
If ever I am at another location, I want to be able to use any PC connected to the internet (or a tablet if possible), connect to my NAS server (any one) and possibly open a virtualbox guest and do some work.
The question is, is Xigmanas good for this type of setup or no? I can (if possible) use the same desktop to run the NAS server as well as be able to open virtualbox and run my apps (some are windows only apps and others like Libreoffice can work off other OS). If I need a separate PC for this then NP but would be good if I can just have 1 PC to do everything.
So in a nutshell, a system to be able to save documents, pictures, etc from my apps (office), my phone (pictures) and be able to run virtual office guest, while syncing with a second, similar system. Syncing doesn't have to be immediate, it will mainly be for backup purposes.
Thanks in advance

Return to “Newbie Questions”