*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-19: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.7014 - released

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Intel i218V GigE broke with 11.2

NIC, network controllers, compatibility questions, WOL, wake on lan
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
pcrow
NewUser
NewUser

Intel i218V GigE broke with 11.2

Post by pcrow » 20 Oct 2018 01:00

I've been running for several years with a MSI B85M Eco motherboard that has an Intel I218V GigE port on-board. When I first installed, I had to use a beta version of 10.x because 9.x didn't have the correct driver, but apart from that it's always worked perfectly. That is, until today. After upgrading to 11.2, it is able to get an IP address, but the carrier keeps dropping, and I get 90% or more packet loss. Looking at the switch, the carrier light keeps going off, then coming on for a half second after a bit--there's no consistent pattern. If I boot into the BIOS, the carrier stays on solid, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware glitch coincidental with the upgrade.

At this point, I would downgrade back to 11.1, but old versions aren't available for download.

Any thoughts on getting this back up and working?

pcrow
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Intel i218V GigE broke with 11.2

Post by pcrow » 20 Oct 2018 02:11

Observing some more, the lights on the switch were showing a steady pattern of off for about three seconds, then both carrier and data lights on for about half a second. The carrier light was green, which indicates GigE on my switch.

I tried playing with options on ifconfig, and hit a dead end trying to turn off flags and such, but found something useful with setting the media type. It defaults to autoselect, which should be stable with 1000BaseT, but if I manually force it to 100Mb, it works. The command line to see the media options is

Code: Select all

ifconfig -am
which led to

Code: Select all

ifconfig em0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
Now it's working normally, only at 10% of the expected speed, and it won't survive a reboot without manual intervention. At least I can get by for the moment knowing this, but I have no clue how to fix this permanently.

I do see that in the web interface, under Network > LAN Management, I can set the Media and Duplex to make this hack survive a reboot, but running a file server at 100Mb isn't an acceptable solution.

pcrow
NewUser
NewUser

Re: Intel i218V GigE broke with 11.2

Post by pcrow » 06 Nov 2018 05:49

From what I could find online, this is a bug in the FreeBSD driver, and there is not much I can do to fix it on the FreeBSD side. My workaround to get full speed is to install Linux and run my NAS in a KVM virtual machine. It was a bit of a pain to set up, mostly due to my inexperience with KVM, but I'm happy with the solution. I had been planning on running Linux under XigmaNAS with virtualbox, but now I'm doing it the other way around. Until this is fixed in FreeBSD, that's the only option besides getting a different ethernet card.

Return to “LAN , Network controllers”