Sorry we lost some posts because of database errors!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-09-01: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7728 - released

*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-08-27: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7718 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

SATA RAID5 Controller(s) for 12 drives?

Hard disks, HDD, RAID Hardware, disk controllers, SATA, PATA, SCSI, IDE, On Board, USB, Firewire, CF (Compact Flash)
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
opel70
Starter
Starter

SATA RAID5 Controller(s) for 12 drives?

Post by opel70 »

Hello,
Some background: I have been running my NAS at home since the FreeNAS days and it has been great. I have 2 2TB drives with software mirroring. At work we are upgrading the hard drives in our Mac Mini computers and are going to have quite a few 500GB 2.5" drives. I was thinking that 6 in a RAID5 array would give me my 2TB, and if I was able to use 12 in 2 arrays I'd be able to jump up to 4TB of storage.

The question: Is this really feasible? I see some 4 or 6 drive hot swap bays that fit into a 5.25" drive slot. So getting the drives into a case is fairly trivial. But is there a controller that works with XigmasNAS that would give me 12 SATA ports? Or am I going to spend so much more than if I just went out and bought 2 4TB drives and stuck with the software mirroring? I figure I could use 12 drives and have plenty of spares if any died. Just looking to see if trying to utilize these drives that will otherwise be recycled is worthwhile to pursue.

Thanks,
Tim

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SATA RAID5 Controller(s) for 12 drives?

Post by raulfg3 »

today is more clever to use big HD instead a lot of small ones.
12.1.0.4 - Ingva (revision 7743) on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 11x3TB disk in 1 vdev = Vpool = 32TB Raw size , so 29TB usable size (I Have other NAS as Backup)

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

slaycock
experienced User
experienced User

Post by slaycock »

The usual recommendation is to not use a hardware raid but an HBA passthrough card and zfs. If you do this then a combination of an 8 port HBA and motherboard sata ports (if 4 or more) would suffice.

apollo567
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by apollo567 »

Have a look for LSI Adapter cards ( e.g. Dell or IBM use them also as OEM Cards) they have up to 16 ports. You can buy them quite well used on ebay. As usually 8 ports are most common, it might be cheaper to buy 2 of them than looking for the rather seldom 16 port versions.

BTW I agree with slaycock !
my NAS and its development until today: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39&sid=039fed830cf ... 4d0abe4a04

slaycock
experienced User
experienced User

Post by slaycock »

If you buy two make sure your motherboard supports 8x PCIe in the second PCIe x16 slot.

Return to “Hard disk & controller”