*New 11.3 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 11.3.0.4.6928 - released, 11.2 series are soon unsupported!

*New 12.0 series Release:
2019-10-05: XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4.6928 - released!

*New 11.2 series Release:
2019-09-23: XigmaNAS 11.2.0.4.6881 - released!

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

there was a problem during initializing the destination disk

Hard disks, HDD, RAID Hardware, disk controllers, SATA, PATA, SCSI, IDE, On Board, USB, Firewire, CF (Compact Flash)
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
georgedone
NewUser
NewUser

Re: there was a problem during initializing the destination

Post by georgedone » 07 Jul 2013 14:20

Hi !
Just wanted to mention I experienced a similar problem and found (kind of) a workaround. This was; when booting Nas4Free from LiveCD to select option 2 "Boot Nas4Free with ACPI enabled" instead of the default "Normal" (option 1). I expect the exact issue to be difficult to be identified since it only manifests in certain combinations of hardware.
And now the history:
I was using a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Asrock motherboard) with Nas4Free 9.0.0.1.X Full installation on a 2GB Sony 133x CompactFlash card (with adapter). Periodically, when new versions of Nas4Free were coming out I was making a new CD, booting it out and select the option to upgrade the Full Installation. When the first Nas4Free release came out based on 9.1.0.1.X I've tried the same thing and the upgrade script complained it could not find a previous Nas4Free installation. I then tried an initial Full installation but I got the same error as ChriZathens, complaining it could not write the FreeBsd label and aborting installation. I've checked the SonyCompact flash both in windows and in Gparted in LinuxMint, removed and recreated partitions, formatted, etc and all went well, however NasFree was still not able to install. I then replaced the CF card with a 16GB Transcend 400x card and the installation went well as well as the subsequent Nas4Free upgrades. I assumed the 2GB Sony CF card went somehow bad although still working in normal applications. Recently I needed to setup another Nas4Free installation for a disabled neighbour and since I had no other CF card at hand, I've tried to see if I can somehow use it. After reading this post and trying about a dozen times to install, I've remembered in FreeNas 0.6.9 I had problems with ACPI enabled that that was (after a Bios firmware upgrade) interfering with the network card and making it unusable which might be the reason in Nas4Free the default option is to boot with ACPI disabled, and so I've tried Option 2 (with ACPI enabled) and behold, NAs4Free Full installs now on the 2GB Sony CF card presumed dead.
Hope this will help people encountering similar problems in the future.
:geek:

NeilP
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: there was a problem during initializing the destination disk

Post by NeilP » 06 Aug 2016 13:57

I am getting this as well.

This is not a hardware / BIOS issue, it is (in my case) totally down to partitions and how the device is being seen

I did an installation from a Live CD.
Embedded to a HDD, ada0 on IDE primary channel

All went perfectly..except I thought I'd 'up ' the swap file size to 8GB...ooops

It seems that nas4free gets upset by this ..a warning pops up in the bot sequence saying Swap size is Too Big.

So I thought i'd do a clean installation ..

Now on second attempt at installation, to the same HDD, and from the same Live Boot USB (version 10.3.0.3 2898) again using Option 1
Embedded OS/GPT on HDD I get:

Code: Select all

Mount CDROM/USB.
kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
kern.geom.debugflags 16 -> 0
Error: Failed to create GPT partition table!
Unmount CDROm/USB.
There was a problem during initialising the destination disk

Press ENTER to continue.

Tried the Shell and

part destroy ada0
get a " Device is busy" message

so it seems that what ever the old USB installation did to ada0..the new boot from the USB disk is seeing it and mounting/ using it

NeilP
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by NeilP » 06 Aug 2016 13:58

I am getting this as well.

This is not a hardware / BIOS issue, it is (in my case) totally down to partitions and how the device is being seen

I did an installation from a Live CD.
Embedded to a HDD, ada0 on IDE primary channel

All went perfectly..except I thought I'd 'up ' the swap file size to 8GB...ooops

It seems that nas4free gets upset by this ..a warning pops up in the bot sequence saying Swap size is Too Big.

So I thought i'd do a clean installation ..

Now on second attempt at installation, to the same HDD, and from the same Live Boot USB (version 10.3.0.3 2898) again using Option 1
Embedded OS/GPT on HDD I get:

Mount CDROM/USB.
kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
kern.geom.debugflags 16 -> 0
Error: Failed to create GPT partition table!
Unmount CDROm/USB.
There was a problem during initialising the destination disk

Press ENTER to continue.

Tried the Shell and

part destroy ada0
get a " Device is busy" message

so it seems that what ever the old USB installation did to ada0..the new boot from the USB disk is seeing it and mounting/ using it

EDIT

NeilP
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by NeilP » 06 Aug 2016 14:02

Only solution was a different kind of "destroy" command..physical removal..beat the £$$%£$ HDD with a hammer and fit another...

not really...I did not physically beat the HDD to death..put I have fitted another ..and then installation went as before

Seriously..that was the only way.

I have searched and tried all sorts of gparted and other commands to wipe the old original ( from two hours ago) HDD.

Seems impossible to umount/ wipe the partitions the USB installer installs from the USB Live Boot Shell, or from eh webgui of the Live USB..but

But installing on to another HDD, then booting from the new install on the new HDD, does allow a complete deletion of the 'problem' HDD from the WebGUI, once booted from a clean install

MasterBlaster
NewUser
NewUser

Post by MasterBlaster » 17 Dec 2016 02:25

I was having a similar issue and found this thread while searching for a solution. Just wanted to chime in. I had two issues 1) the usb device kept disconnecting and reconnecting and 2) I kept receiving a similar error as OP when attempting to perform the install (but onto usb media) I was prompted the partition couldn't be created.

my solutions fwiw
1) the issue stemmed from the use of a KVM. I disconnected the USB for the mouse and it went away
2) my own ignorance and being in a hurry. My micro usb was 8gb and for whatever reason nas4free had the default swap set to 12gb. I didn't notice this during the install so obviously it was error'ing out trying to create that which it didn't have space for. I reset the swap to 2gb instead and viola everything installed as normal

artiom
NewUser
NewUser

Post by artiom » 09 Oct 2017 20:55

I had the same issue with a brand new SSD disk.
Problem solved by starting with ACPI.
This was only needed for install. Subsequent restart worked fine :mrgreen:

dreadnought
NewUser
NewUser

Post by dreadnought » 03 Sep 2018 10:02

Had the same problem.
Installed Xigmanas on SSD, then had to change something and reinstalled on top of the previous installation.
It was the old swap parition locking the device because still hooked as swap space by OS at boot.

Used the swapoff command
#swapoff <old swap partition>

And then it worked as I used a clean disk.

Return to “Hard disk & controller”