*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

How to proper set disk standby and ZFS sync time

Hard disks, HDD, RAID Hardware, disk controllers, SATA, PATA, SCSI, IDE, On Board, USB, Firewire, CF (Compact Flash)
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
erico.bettoni
experienced User
experienced User

How to proper set disk standby and ZFS sync time

Post by erico.bettoni »

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time now, and since I've finished resolving the other problems I had with my boxes it's finally time to get to it.

1. What you guys think is the best way to configure the disks standby time? How to do it?
2. What also would be some good parameters to avoid ZFS to write to disks all the time? How to do it?

My two boxes have 32GB of RAM, both have SSD for ZIL and CACHE and booth have multiple 6+ data disks running in raidz2.
Also, booth have dedicated controlers SAS/SATA controllers in IT mode AND have good UPS's to keep them up.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Thank you!

crowi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to proper set disk standby and ZFS sync time

Post by crowi »

1. set the standby time at Disks|Management|HDD Management
you have to activate it in the settings for each single drive
2. what do you exactly mean by: "What also would be some good parameters to avoid ZFS to write to disks all the time? How to do it?"

Generally it is not recommended to set ZFS disks on standby, read here http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=warnings

However, I set mine to spin down after 20 minutes, up to now I have had no issues with this setting to date (I also use a SSD for ZIL and L2ARC), but it's your risk, of course.
NAS 1: Milchkuh: Asrock C2550D4I, Intel Avoton C2550 Quad-Core, 16GB DDR3 ECC, 5x3TB WD Red RaidZ1 +60 GB SSD for ZIL/L2ARC, APC-Back UPS 350 CS, NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3460 embedded
NAS 2: Backup: HP N54L, 8 GB ECC RAM, 4x4 TB WD Red, RaidZ1, NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3460 embedded
NAS 3: Office: HP N54L, 8 GB ECC RAM, 2x3 TB WD Red, ZFS Mirror, APC-Back UPS 350 CS NAS4Free 11.0.0.4.3460 embedded

Return to “Hard disk & controller”