*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Possible bug in mpt driver for 1st Generation LSI controller? (LSI SAS 3081-8i/3082-8i)

Hard disks, HDD, RAID Hardware, disk controllers, SATA, PATA, SCSI, IDE, On Board, USB, Firewire, CF (Compact Flash)
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Sleyk
NewUser
NewUser

Possible bug in mpt driver for 1st Generation LSI controller? (LSI SAS 3081-8i/3082-8i)

Post by Sleyk »

Hey again NAS users,

So I have been having some major problems since upgrading to Nas4Free 11.0.0.4 3330.
My system keeps throwing these mpt cam event errors. It would throw these wild errors, then start detaching the hell out of my disks. I am scared of my data, and have started backing up and making lists of everything in case I lose the drives.

Now, I have tried most things, but nothing works. At first I thought my cards went bad, so I replaced the cards and tried new ones. Still same errors. Then I had the idea to flash the cards to IR firmware to see if the mpt driver would calm down, but still, no go. It is even throwing errors and detaching drives as I speak. It detaches, then reattaches. I tried replacing my cables with new ones, I tried enabling staggered spinup, I even tried swapping power supply. I still get these cam events/mpt driver errors. I went ahead and reflashed the cards back to IT firmware.

The images below I attached show what happens. By the time it gets to the third screenshot, it just keeps cycling over and over. Not sure what else to do. I am only left to think that the mpt driver has a bug in the new firmware? Only thing left to do to confirm this, is to go back to Nas4free 10. Any other suggestions guys?

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug in mpt driver for 1st Generation LSI controller? (LSI SAS 3081-8i/3082-8i)

Post by raulfg3 »

Revert to 10.x until bug Was solved.

Is NOT a N4F bug.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

slaycock
experienced User
experienced User

Re: Possible bug in mpt driver for 1st Generation LSI controller? (LSI SAS 3081-8i/3082-8i)

Post by slaycock »

I have experienced this as well BUT only after restoring my config from 10---3330 config.

Try the following. Reset version 11 to factory defaults. Import disks, import your zfs pool, synchronise the zfs pool, run a scrub on the pool. See if you still get errors. I found that I could run through a scrub with no errors but as soon as I restored by version 10 configuration I got timeout errors on my Dell branded LDI 1608E based SAS card. This was reproducible for two servers.

Sleyk
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Sleyk »

Ok thanks guys. Will attempt to refresh nas4free back to default, then do a brand new configuration. I have been carrying over my config since early nas4free 10 days. Thanks for that bit of advice, Slaycock. If this still fails, then I will revert back to nas4free 10.

Raulfg3, you say this isn't a nas4free bug my friend? Is it perhaps the older lsi driver incompatibility with newer firmware? I'm curious to know, since I still plan on using 1st gen LSI cards for my server. If it turns out that the 2nd gen cards don't have this problem, I may finally install a few m1015's I have been saving.

Sleyk
NewUser
NewUser

Post by Sleyk »

Ok, so here to report back that refreshing to defaults on the latest firmware does not fix this issue for me. I had high hopes though. Only thing left to do now is to revert back to Nas4free 10.

Add in: So I reverted to Nas4free 10, with the same errors. I will try a few different cards again and maybe change out the cables to newer ones. So far, nothing has worked, and seems like the problem is getting worse.

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by raulfg3 »

Sleyk wrote:Ok, so here to report back that refreshing to defaults on the latest firmware does not fix this issue for me. I had high hopes though. Only thing left to do now is to revert back to Nas4free 10.

Add in: So I reverted to Nas4free 10, with the same errors. I will try a few different cards again and maybe change out the cables to newer ones. So far, nothing has worked, and seems like the problem is getting worse.
First time i think that show the same error that HenriM coment in this serie of post: http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?p=73260#p73260

But now I think that you have some problems with conexion.

Do you use external or detachable cages?.

please try to connect disk directly to motherboard using a good Sata cable, eliminate posible SATA cage oroblems in the equation.
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Return to “Hard disk & controller”