*New 11.4 series Release:
2020-07-03: XigmaNAS 11.4.0.4.7633 - released!

*New 12.1 series Release:
2020-04-17: XigmaNAS 12.1.0.4.7542 - released

We really need "Your" help on XigmaNAS https://translations.launchpad.net/xigmanas translations. Please help today!

Producing and hosting XigmaNAS costs money. Please consider donating for our project so that we can continue to offer you the best.
We need your support! eg: PAYPAL

Possible issue with 4TB drives?

Hard disks, HDD, RAID Hardware, disk controllers, SATA, PATA, SCSI, IDE, On Board, USB, Firewire, CF (Compact Flash)
Forum rules
Set-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
Six_Shooter
Starter
Starter

Possible issue with 4TB drives?

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, so I'm getting frustrated here.

Hardware:
EVGA MoBo, Xeon X5550 CPU
6GB RAM
2x 2TB WD Green
2x 3TB WD Green
2x 4TB WD Red
9.1.0.1 Installed on USB stick, UFS file system.

Earlier tonight (well yesterday now... uhg) I tried adding another drive to my system (WD 4TB Red). Like a dummy I forgot to do a config back up just before doing this (learned my lesson now... :/ ). Anyway, when I tried to clear config and import discs, something happened to one of my 4TB WD Reds, where it could no longer be read. ARG!

So I tried to go to my last config backup which was a few months ago, and then I could no longer get an IP address to come up, either thorugh DHCP (manual reset through the system itself (option 2 IIRC), nope, not after several tries, not even doing it manually. Reset to factory defaults, yep, connect, but then load the config again and again lose the ability to access the machine.

So I say Eff it, and update to the latest version 10.something.something... And I started adding the HDDs back in, but I have since lost the other 4TB red drive, I would get an "error-retry" message in the shares menu, and eventually it started showing the same as the other drive, couldn't read the formatting. The first failed drive would actually cause the n4f box from booting up completely if it was plugged in. I ended up reformatting the first drive that lost readability with my Win 7 box and then the n4f box was able to boot with it installed again, and reformatted to UFS. So it seems that something is getting corrupt on these drives, when I'm trying to add more or doing some work on the system.

FWIW the 2 4TB that have been in the system have been there for about 8 months and about a year and a half, the other drives have been in the system longer.

Note: I have not tried adding the pair of 2TB Greens back in yet, because they were raided (mirror) and haven't yet tried to add them back in yet for fear of them getting corrupt as well.

So this leads me to my question, are 4TB drives too large for the N4F OS? Is there something about this capacity that causes something to corrupt more easily than with 3TB and smaller drives?
MyNAS
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD ATHALON II X2 255
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Boot Drive: 2GB Kingston DataTraveler 2.0
Storage: (UFS) 14+ TB usable WD Red and Green drives
PSU: Corsair TX650
Case: Antec 300
Other: APC UPS (USB connected)

raulfg3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible issue with 4TB drives?

Post by raulfg3 »

Six_Shooter wrote: So this leads me to my question, are 4TB drives too large for the N4F OS? Is there something about this capacity that causes something to corrupt more easily than with 3TB and smaller drives?
NO, I used 4TB and 8TB disk in ZFS pools, perhaps the limit (if exist) is in the UFS Format: https://mebsd.com/configure-freebsd-ser ... n-2tb.html.

My suggest.

Do a new embeded install on a NEW USB, boot from it, configure LAN, check that works fine (DHCP &/or Fixed IP), import your disk, import your pools (Or your software raid disk not sure), wait, save your actual config, continue configing the rest of services.

I'm not totally sure, but suspect that you use UFS and RAID, for today is better and have lot of ventages to use ZFS, so my second suggest is: save your valuable data on your new 4TB disk, and create a ZFS pool ( you can use a ZFS mirror like actually do you have).
12.0.0.4 (revision 6766)+OBI on SUPERMICRO X8SIL-F 8GB of ECC RAM, 12x3TB disk in 3 vdev in RaidZ1 = 32TB Raw size only 22TB usable

Wiki
Last changes

HP T510

Six_Shooter
Starter
Starter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I went with UFS because I am not using ECC RAM and it seemed that not using ECC RAM with ZFS was a lost data situation waiting to happen.

I see that there are a number of people that use ZFS without reported issues, but it just didn't seem like a safe thing to do.

So I couldn't really get a clear answer for the link, but does UFS have some sort of HDD size limit, or a limit to the over amount of storage?

Is there anything wrong with running mixed file systems, some UFS and some ZFS?
MyNAS

Six_Shooter
Starter
Starter

Post by Six_Shooter »

So I was playing with this a bit more tonight and I now have all of the HDDs I wanted to connect, connected, so 7 drives in total.

2x 2TB WD Green
2x 3TB WD Green
3x 4TB WD Red...

However, I have not set up the 2 2TB HDDs in the raid config I had them before (so one is seen by the system, but is not shared to the network), one of the 4TB drives that had lots of media on it comes up as "Unknown or unformatted" for the file system, and the other that is new also as expected comes up that way.

So any ideas why my system would have corrupted a pair of drives earlier this week, while using 9.1.0.1? Is there anyway to retrive the data on that HDD, like there is with the NTFS file system (such as getdatabackntfs) or utility built into N4F that I'm not aware of??

One of the 2 4TB drives that corrupted earlier this week I have reformatted in a Win7 box to NTFS and the reformatted to UFS when I reinstalled it. I have since moved a couple files to it for testing and seems to be once again working fine.

This all started just trying to gain 1 TB, in replacing one of the 3TB HDDs with a 4TB and moving the data between the two drives... :/
MyNAS

Return to “Hard disk & controller”